Gratitude promotes optimism and helps us to develop a more positive outlook. It lets us pause for a moment to reflect on something we have in our life right now instead of always striving for more, the next goal, the new dress, the new toy, the new car, or the house renovation.
Gratitude is simply cultivating a genuine appreciation for what we already have. And we have a lot! I’m sure you’ll agree that most of us actually have far more material “things” than we really need. So here are a list of thing that we take for granted when we should be grateful for them in our lives :
- The air you breathe. When the pollution levels soaring high in my city, Delhi late last year, I could not come to terms with how ungrateful I was when we had clean air and skies. Since then, I have decided to be grateful for each new day and the clean air I breathe daily.
- A comfortable bed. Be grateful for a comfortable bed and a good nights sleep. There are so many people who don’t have this luxury and you do. So be thankful for the comfort.
- A roof over your head. With so many people being homeless, be grateful to have a place to call home. I am grateful for my parents to have made sure we are comfortable in our home. Thank you.
- Water. Hot and cold water is a luxury that many parts of the world still don’t have. Be grateful for access to instant water.
- Clothes to wear. Open your wardrobe and see lots of clothes. Be grateful you have choice and a variety of clean clothes to wear.
- A beautiful day. Everyday is a new day. Be grateful for each beautiful day. Some people don’t wake up to a new beautiful day.
- Food to eat. Be grateful for the wide range of food you have to eat. Throughout the world, people are starving.
- A supportive family. Your family supports you in many different ways. Just being there. Loving you. Thinking of you. Encouraging you to reach your dreams or firing you up to push on.
- Laughter and chatter. Say hello to someone as it may be the only words they ear today. Laughter and chatter are the connections of the world.
- Latest technology. You have an office in your pocket today. Just having a mobile phone provides access to the world. Knowledge at your fingertips.
- Electricity. Be grateful to be able to switch lights on and off. Be grateful for the ability to keep food cold or heat food up. Be thankful for the ability to charge your devices, they keep you connected.
- Opportunities. The world truly is your oyster. The fact that there are endless opportunities today is such a blessing. Be thankful for all the opportunities this modern world provides.
- Sunshine. Love the beautiful sunny day. Find time to spend at least 20 minutes out in the sunshine absorbing the sun and nature each day.
- Wonderful Connections. Stay connected with family and friends in person or over the internet. Be thankful that even when you live far away you can still be connected.
Even in the midst of crisis and change there are lessons to learn and things to be grateful for!
Categories: Spiritual Health