LEAKY GUT SYNDROME (LGS) describes a cascade of disorders that stem from small intestine colitis, allowing infiltration of microbial and metabolic toxins as well as undigested food into the blood stream. These include fatigue, immune deficiency, food allergies, asthma and eczema. Leaky Gut Syndrome may be a contributor to other modern illnesses such as insulin resistance, obesity, neurotransmitter disorders, and cancer, and in fact may account for 50% of chronic illness. LGS is a modern disease with its origins in excessive antibiotics or, in children, early vaccination.
Let’s begin with understanding what to eat and what to avoid eating in leaky gut syndrome attack :
Foods to Eat
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids (to reduce inflammation) – Grass fed or organic meats (beef, bison, elk, chicken, rabbit, goat, lamb), Bone broth, wold fish, pasture raises eggs and egg yolks, fish oil, chia seeds, walnuts.
- Lightly steamed or cooked non starchy vegetables (easy on digestion and anti-inflammatory – fibre also feeds healthy gut bacteria) – Leafy greens (spinach, kale), broccoli, cauliflower, artichokes, asparagus, cabbage, cucumber, mushrooms, sprouts, celery, radish, Brussels sprouts, zucchini.
- Spices & Herbs (to reduce inflammation and soothe the GI tract) – Ginger, turmeric, marshmallow root tea, liquorice root tea, peppermint, dandelion root tea.
- Helpful Supplements – Probiotic capsule, collagen peptides, gelatine powder & l-glutamine
- Probiotic Foods (to increase healthy gut bacteria) – Coconut milk yogurt, coconut milk kefir, almond yogurt, sauerkraut, kimchi & beet kvass.
Foods to Avoid
- Legumes (including peanuts)
- Dairy products (milk, diary, yogurt, cheese, whey)
- Refined Sugar
- Unfermented soy products
- Artificial sweeteners (Sucralose, aspartame)
- Packaged, boxed and processed foods.
- Refined vegetable oils (canola, peanut, soy, corn, safflower, sunflower)
- Deli meats and non organic meats
- Nightshade vegetables like eggplant, bell peppers, potatoes, and tomatoes.
Reference : https://lifesynergyretreat.com/leaky-gut-diet/