Signs of Toxic Workplace

Many organizations struggle to develop a winning company culture. In fact, 87 percent of HR and business leaders acknowledged that a lack of employee engagement has emerged as their No.1 issue, according to research from Deloitte. Only 12 percent said they have a program in place to define and build a strong culture, and just 7 percent rate themselves as “excellent” in measuring, driving and improving engagement and retention. Given the findings, it’s safe to conclude that many organizations are facing employee morale issues. When taken to extremes, these issues reflect what’s known as a “toxic workplace,” a company that represents the worst in organizational dysfunction, and/or counterproductive processes, and/or stress overload, and/or hostile environments

Wondering if your organisation is a toxic workplace? Here are a few signs :

• Poor Communication – There is little feedback on your work. If there is, it’s mainly harsh and negative rather than constructive. Rarely, is there any positive recognition. There is little communication between coworkers. Communication between management and staff feels at odds and us vs. them mentality.
  • Leadership is Unsupportive – Leadership does not seem to listen or value your ideas. Your goal and growth as an individual are not reflected in your work. Your boss does not support you or does not seem to care about your success.
  • Negative Outlooks – Everyone in the office seems to have a bad attitude. It may be a result of intense competition placed on coworkers, high turnover, or office drama. Your gut is telling you something is wrong.
  • No Work-Life Balance – You are consistently working more than your personal limitations. The quality of your personal relationships have diminished. Your health has also taken a backseat to your job. Losing sleep and increasing stress may cause you to be sick more often. You find yourself dreading going to work on daily basis.

Any of these signs sound familiar? Do you think a person should stay in a toxic work environment just because the money is good? Let me know your thoughts.

Reference : https://offbeat-yoga.com/2018/04/12/is-your-company-culture-toxic-4-signs-to-look-for-in-your-workplace/

1. Federico says:

great article, Garima. I was wondering, since you like leadership, I hope you may also like motivation. If so, you can take a look at my blog about self-improvement http://www.greatestversion.blog I hope it can inspire for you in your future posts.

Thanks for the link Federico.

Thank you Jolie. I am glad you could relate. When toxic workers leave the workplace, it can improve the culture overall because the remaining staff become more engaged and productive.

1. joliesattic says:

That is so definitely true

πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ

2. Lumen Luz says:

Thanks for sharing this I’ve been reading articles regarding this topic and couldn’t agree more. Just to add there are also the hidden signs, my company is great at masking their toxic culture with mass marketing to their employees. I loved one I read today that was spot on for me: “Crisis management is the norm in workaholic organisations”. I work in consulting and every day there is some sort of crisis and no one can let their guard down or you are eaten by the wolves! Took me 3 years to realise and do something about my toxic environment! Thanks for this post!

Ah I can relate to this. I once worked in a toxic environments but didn’t realise what it was doing to my mental health until quite later. Don’t let a toxic work environment catch you off guard. All jobs have some level of stress β€” even on good days. However, if going to work (or just the thought of going to work) makes you tired, depressed, or even physically ill, that’s more than just general work stress; these are the signs of a toxic work environment.

3. Riddhi Patel says:

You are right that such toxic environment is not good to stay but what to do we are also bound with family responsibilities, sometimes it becomes more toxic when we feel like being stuck between both.

Yes Riddhi, that is true. It is possible that things could improve at your job, in which case it might make sense to stay. However, while waiting it out, begin your search for a new job. This will help you stay positive when things get rough. If you needed to leave yesterday, consider a bridge job that will keep you active while you find something in line with your career.

1. Riddhi Patel says:

I am in search of that thanks to my spiritual spirits helping me to survive in such kind of situations

πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ

4. Riddhi Patel says:

Yes you are right some working place becomes Toxic after sometimes and for that Management and HR both are responsible, but for employee it’s too difficult to leave that toxic environment unless and until they find better place to breath due to family responsibilities attached. In such cases, only employee can create a better environment for them, although it’s temporary but still someone has to take lead at that cases.

Yes HR should take proactive action, after all they are for the benefit of the employee.

5. Totally agree with all the points Garima! I have been working in IT for about 8 yrs now, and to be in a toxic work environment is just hard. Imagine spending almost 50% of your time in a toxic environment, it cannot be healthy for anyone.

It is very important to acknowledge the fact that healthy and comfortable environment is so important at workplace as well.

A toxic work environment is one wherein dysfunction and drama reign, whether it’s the result of a narcissistic boss, vindictive co-workers, absence of order, etc. Basically, a hostile work environment leaves you feeling like dirt.

πŸ‘πŸΌ

6. Darazizi says:

I’ve been there before. In a toxic work situation that is. I don’t think its healthy to stay there simply because of the money especially when your physical health starts to suffer. Emotional and mental health is also important and ideally shouldn’t be risked, but some do. But physical health should never be at the detriment of work. Its bad enough to be underappreciated or to have your growth stifled and have an unfriendly interaction with your colleagues or bosses, but you have only one body. The thing is, if a person should die, such would be replaced in a heartbeat with probably only a minute of silence spared for them and that’s really just not worth it. No one in this life is ever indispensable. The work won’t stop or discontinue.

One thing I’ve learnt is to identify who to be familiar with at works and who to be strictly professional with. This is important for sanity of mind. Avoid overfamiliarity with the wrong or toxic kind of people. Office gossip isn’t harmless, its dangerous as well, try to do away with it, trusting everyone at work can get a person into trouble and they could very well tattletale on you to your superior. Don’t forget why you’re there or lose your focus. You’re there to work and not primarily to make friends. It will serve one well to know that distinction.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience with us.

7. pshrutika says:

I agree with your opinion and I am also going to write my experiences both of the private sector and government sector and trust me, the dirt is filthier to the one I faced. I hope you will read it and spread across the word.
    I had my battle against the powerful administrative officers and the most corrupt one with the kind who misuse their power to exploit women and treat them as their muse.

Well Girl, we do live in a patrichical society. Because for the entire history of humanity, with the exception of the last 150 years or so, women have been dependent on the protection and industry of men. It was only through industrialisation and technological advances that gender equality even became a viable option. Before these advances women just lacked the ability to be self sufficient.

1. pshrutika says:

I disagree with the fact that women depend on men for protection in the industry…and gender equality is still a far fetched goal. It will still take decades and no matter how much u try, it will continue being a patriarch society. Infact men in the industry exploit women either for their personal pleasure or the very fact that they can’t tolerate women performing better and bending down to their terms. ( Not all men are like this though but majority are)