All About Probiotics

Probiotics help in reducing your risk of developing a bowel infection called Clostridium difficile (otherwise known as C. diff). C. diff is an infection which can occur after you have received antibiotics for another infection which then disrupt the normal (“good”) bacteria in your gut. This then allows the problem C. diff bacteria to grow in your gut, where it can lead to diarrhoea which in some cases can be very severe.

The probiotic contains a mixture of several “good” bacteria which are intended to stop the C. diff from causing a problem whilst you are taking the antibiotics.

Who should be taking the probiotic?

We know that certain people are at more risk from C. diff infection and therefore these are the people who will be given the probiotic at the same time that they are prescribed antibiotics. This includes people who are:

• over 65 years
  • OR over 18 years AND with one of the following risk factors:
  • Past C. diff infection
  • On a prolonged antibiotic course for more than 7 days
  • People prescribed proton pump inhibitors (stomach acid suppressing tabletse.g. omeprazole, lanzoprazole)
  • History of multiple antibiotic courses during or prior to admission.

If you fall into one of these groups and are prescribed an antibiotic course, probiotics can be prescribed by your medical team to take during the antibiotic course and for 5 days afterwards.

Who should not be taking the probiotic?

• People who have problems with their immune system or who are taking drugs that could stop their immune system from functioning effectively, should not usually take the probiotic.
  • People with bowel perforation (hole in the gut) or conditions with a high risk of bowel perforation should also not take the probiotic.

Have you had your probiotic today? What do you think about probiotics?

Reference : https://www.iow.nhs.uk/Downloads/Patient%20Information%20Leaflets/Probiotics%20for%20preventing%20Cdiff.pdf

Thank you for the reblog.

1. This is interesting because I just began including a probiotic capsule into my diet on yesterday. Thanks for the good information!

Most welcome. Promoting a healthy digestive tract and a healthy immune system are their most widely studied benefits at this time. These are also commonly known as friendly, good, or healthy bacteria.

1. I can imagine with this pandemic still in play.

2. kellyanngegg says:

Ok, so I knew that probiotics were good…but I seriously had no idea why until now! Time to start back up on my regimen I suppose! Thanks for the info!

Oh they are the wonder medicine. Probiotics can reduce the risk and severity of diarrhea from a number of different causes. Probiotics may help protect the heart by reducing “bad” LDL cholesterol levels and modestly lowering blood pressure.

1. kellyanngegg says:

So interesting! I took probiotics for a long time, but I ran out and then keep forgetting to pick them back up! Had no idea they were quite so beneficial!

They are. The strains most commonly used in these studies were Bifidobacterium longum, Bifidobacterium breve, Bifidobacterium infantis, Lactobacillus helveticus and Lactobacillus rhamnosus. Probiotics appear to be effective for both generalized anxiety.

3. joliesattic says:

I’m so sorry I didn’t know this before. My sister, who is dying, lived on pro-biotics and what disturbed me the most is she always had horrible bloating and digestive issues, which is why she took them. Now, I’m wondering if they weren’t why she was so miserable. That is not why she is dying. She had brain surgery and is suffering complications from that and I do not believe she will survive, but more so because the complications occurred as quarantine set in and I believe, not having family near her contributed to her decline. She was allowed no one, so there was no familiar faces or voices to reach out to. Her son’s moved her to hospice care yesterday, so now they can visit. Who knows? Maybe the sound of family can trigger something in her dormant brain. We can only hope. Miracles can happen.

Sending her healing vibes 🙌🏼🙌🏼

4. jr cline says:

I’m all about probiotics. I make a lot of kimchi and do other things.

Probiotics may help reduce the symptoms of bowel disorders like ulcerative colitis, IBS and necrotizing enterocolitis. Kimchi is recognized as a health food because of its physiologic nutrients and phytochemicals, as well as probiotics such as lactic acid bacteria. In addition, many health benefits of Kimchi have been reported such as antioxidant, antimutagenic, anticarcinogenic, and antihypertensive activities.

1. jr cline says:

It tastes good too. 😎

5. Pain Bug says:

I had suffered from C. diff in 2018. I was prescribed antibiotics and was told to take probiotics. Unfortunately, the probiotics didn’t agree with me. I ended up with C.Diff from taking two different antibiotics. The doctor who prescribed the medications should have known better according to the GI specialist. It was rough for two months.

Did you know that it is important to understand what kind of bacteria are present in probiotics? Also it also depends on which gut micro organism your body is deficient of.

6. gpavants says:

Garima,

I have been pretty consistent with pre and probiotics. I think my issues might also be stress and anxiety. I know our bodies react to issues to tell us something.

Gary

Yes Gary, stress may cause a decrease in blood flow and oxygen to the stomach, which could lead to cramping, inflammation, or an imbalance of gut bacteria. It can also exacerbate gastrointestinal disorders, including: Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).