It’s time for me to kick Diet Coke and other sodas to the curb. Here’s what happens to your body after you drink coke or related drinks :
Within the first 10 minutes
- 10 teaspoons of sugar enter your system. This represents 100% of the daily recommended value. The only reason that you do no vomit due to the excessive amounts of sugar is because the phosphoric acid it contains eliminates the flavour.
Within 20 minutes
- Your blood-sugar levels skyrocket, and your liver responds to this explosion of insulin by converting large amounts of sugar into fat.
In less that 40 minutes
- The caffeine is completely absorbed; your eyes dilate, your blood pressure shoots up and your live sends more sugar into your bloodstream.
In around 45 minutes
- Your body increases it’s production of dopamine, which stimulates the pleasure-feeling centres of your brain, a physical reaction identical to that of heroin.
After 60 minutes
- Your feel fatigued as a sugar crash kicks in.
Will this information impact your diet (or regular) soda consumption? If you cut back, how did you do it?