The Mental Health Screening and Assessment Tools for Primary Care table provides a listing of mental health screening and assessment tools, summarizing their psychometric testing properties, cultural considerations,
costs, and key references. Complicated process indeed.
But is there any tool which we can use everyday anytime to understand how well out mental health is at any given time? Yes, there is. Considering the vastness of human emotions, let’s divide the mental health pain scale into mild, moderate & severe. Here are some feelings/emotions that you should look for under each category to assess our mental health :
- Everything is okay. There is absolutely nothing wrong. You’re probably cuddling a fluffy kitten right now. Enjoy!
- You’re a bit frustrated or disappointed, but you’re easily distracted and cheered up with little effort.
- Things are bothering you, but you’re coping. You might be overtired or hungry. the emotional equivalent of a headache.
- Today is a bad day (or a few bad days). You still have the skills to get through it, but be gentle with yourself. use self-care strategies.
- Your mental health is starting to impact on your everyday life. East things are becoming difficult. You should talk to your doctor.
- You can’t do things that way you usually do them due to your mental health. Impulsive and compulsive thoughts may be hard to cope with.
- You’re avoiding things that make you more distressed, but that will make it worse. You should definitely seek help. This is serious.
- You can’t hide your struggles anymore. You may have issues sleeping, eating, having fun, socialising, and work/study. Your mental health is affecting almost all parts of your life.
- You’re at a critical point. You aren’t functioning anymore. You need urgent help. You may be a risk to yourself or others if left untreated.
- The worst mental and emotional distress possible. You can no longer care for yourself. You can’t imagine things getting any worse. Contact a crisis line immediately.
Seek help when you feel it is necessary or if you can relate with any one of the above mentioned emotions. Do not ignore. Its okay to seek help.