Rewiring Stress Response

Many diseases including obesity, irritable bowel syndrome, gastro oesophageal reflux disease, depression, anxiety, chronic pain and headaches are symptoms of stress or exacerbated by stress. Stress occurs when an individual’s perception or responses suggest that environmental demands tax or exceed his or her ability to cope.

Identifying and modifying the brain circuits that trigger maladaptive stress responses should result in overall health improvement and likely decrease reliance on medications, procedures and devices. Here are three simple yet powerful ways in which you can require your brain and body connection. Their simplicity will baffle you :

• Regular Exercise – Exercise reduces activation of our amygdala ad sympathetic nervous system, the parts of our brain and body that generate the stress response.
  • Regular Meditation – Meditation decreases the size of our amygdala and increases grey matter density in our prefrontal cortex, the brain area responsible for concentration, decision making, judgement, and social interaction.
  • Regular Elicitation of the Relaxation Response – It changes the expression of our genes in a way that makes is more resilient to stress and anxiety.

It is never too late and now scientific research can support this. During most of the 20th century the general consensus among neuroscientists was that brain structure was relatively immutable after a critical period during early childhood. You can never teach an old dog new tricks, so to speak but perhaps it is precisely beliefs such as this that have kept us stuck in the first place.

1. I developed epilepsy in my early 30’s, had surgery in my late 30’s, recovered and started doing gymnastics and playing the violin in my 40’s! You can do anything you put your mind to! God Bless!

That is awesome. Thank you so much for sharing your inspiring experience. The conversations you have with yourself have a direct impact on how you feel and how you behave. If your self-talk is filled with doubt, harsh criticism, and catastrophic predictions, you’ll struggle to reach your goals. But you don’t have to let a pessimistic outlook or foreboding inner monologue hold you back. You can train your brain to think differently.

Thank you for the reblog.

I am glad you liked it.

2. francisashis says:

This is another mindblowing post to boost one’s physical and mental strength. Thanks a lot for sharing. 🌹🙏

Thank you Francis. Stress should be taken seriously. In most scenarios, stress is just another aspect of the human experience. It comes and goes, and while it’s relatively unpleasant to deal with, its long-term effects are negligible. However, when stress becomes pervasive and continuous, the physical and mental health impacts can be severe.

1. francisashis says:

Yes ,I agree with your suggestions. Most of us ignore little physical problems and invite major problems in the last stage.So your posts are beacon of hope for so many like us.Thanks a lot for sharing. 🌹🙏

Happy to help. Glad you liked it.

3. francisashis says:

I am glad because you have been helping in a great way to live a disease free life.🙏🌹

Anytime. When you feel threatened, your nervous system responds by releasing a flood of stress hormones, including adrenaline and cortisol, which rouse the body for emergency action. Your heart pounds faster, muscles tighten, blood pressure rises, breath quickens, and your senses become sharper.

1. RPR says:

Yeah I mean we do experience such symptoms.

Yes everyday 🙂

3. RPR says:

🙂 tx again

Thank you for sharing my blog.

3. I loved this thank you!

Hi Celia, glad you liked it. Prolonged stress causes chronic activation of this stress response and at some point – your systems begin to get depleted. The whole neuro-endocrine axis (hypothalamic, pituitary, thyroid, adrenal, gonads) can go out of balance -dysregulated. Higher levels of cortisol signal your metabolism to be in an emergency mode and reduces your ability to burn fat, suppresses immune system in the long term, can cause leaky gut – which in turn can over activate immune system potentially leading to allergies, auto-immunity, causes sex hormone, thyroid imbalances as well as depression and anxiety.
      This is why it is vitally important that we become aware and mindful of how stress is affecting us. You can have the perfect diet, workout everyday but without addressing how you deal with stress, much of the other good stuff can get cancelled out.

4. mind1976 says:

Perfect piece again about a subject millions of people suffer with. I like to ad some info to this article.

1: Breathing deeply for 3 seconds in when you are in a stressful situation, hold your breath for 6 seconds and breath out for 9. (no pressure while breathing just inhale slowly and exhale slowly) do this 3 times and you feel your body and brain go in to a easy state.

Lots of people think that stress is work related or something like bills or difficult situations. BUT…. love creates stress, happiness creates stress as well. but we feel and see it different. think about that 😉

Namasté
    Rob

This is most helpful Rob. Thank you for sharing this.

Namaste to you too.

5. I often wonder, how come you come up with niche topics. Simply stupendous.

Thank you Manohar. Well I procrastinated for a “couple” of years on what to write and how to frame my blog, thought posts. So lot of time for gathering topics..haha. Also I am just a keen observer of issues people are facing around me. :):)

1. That’s a trait Garima. Attention to detail, of the things surrounding us : )

Keep writing. I barely write, once a while.

There is no right time to write I guess. For me I guess I got bit by a writing bug in 2019..haha

3. Well. That’s awesome. I’ve started reading lot this year. Writing. I write, poetry. When Im in high / low spirits.. Thats about it 🙃

We are all a work in progress. Good luck with your writing.

5. I like that. We’re all WIP. You seem to hit right notes every time

🙏🏼🙏🏼You are kind.

6. Matt says:

Interesting tips. I definitely don’t exercise as much as I should. A quick question, what does this mean? “Regular Elicitation of the Relaxation Response.” Thanks!

Hi Matt, it means that we need to indulge is some relaxation exercises like meditation, yoga. We live in a fast paced world and our brains are constantly thinking, worrying. We need to relax our mind to the level of nothingness.

7. Lee Cleaver says:

I’ve nominated you for the sunshine blogger award on my site ✌️❤️

1. Lee Cleaver says:

My pleasure ✌️❤️

8. Chiru says:

Great post to boost mental strength

I am glad you found the post helpful.

9. I suffer from GERD now and then and I know absolutely for certain that it is brought on by stress. I do not meditate, but I do exercise daily. And I walk our dog three times a day, weather permitting. Which it may not today. She hates walking in the rain. Thanks for the tips!

Stress and GERD are directly related according to research. Stress can also deplete the production of substances called prostaglandins, which normally protect the stomach from the effects of acid. This could increase your perception of discomfort. Stress, coupled with exhaustion, may present even more body changes that lead to increased acid reflux. I am glad you are taking steps in a more natural ways. Try music for meditation if you want to give it a try.

10. Chris Perona says:

Thanks for visiting my site and liking one of my posts. Taking time to relax is a good way of the heart/soul telling the body that we aren’t in as much danger as it thought. It can be a very good first step towards assessing the actual situation rather than what is being perceived.

Thank you Chris for stopping by. Breaks increase productivity and creativity. Working for long stretches without breaks leads to stress and exhaustion. Taking breaks refreshes the mind, replenishes your mental resources, and helps you become more creative. “Aha moments” came more often to those who took breaks, according to research.

Thank you for the reblog.

11. I love your posts! Keep up the great work

Thank you Celia. It great to see people finding my posts helpful.