How to Sleep Better with Negative Thoughts

Every night, about a third of adults have problems falling or staying asleep that aren’t related to a persistent sleep disorder. As they lie in bed, many are caught in the classic paradox of insomnia: wanting sleep so badly that they can’t get it. The condition of sleep is profoundly contradictory. It is a precious good but it is a good like none other, because to obtain it one must seemingly give up the imperative to have it.

Here are a few steps which you can use to stop negative thoughts from keeping you awake :

• Accept that you are awake : You can expect to get less sleep under certain circumstances. Accepting the reality of your situation takes the pressure off trying to get to sleep and may make you feel more relaxed. And its worth noting, if you are able to lie in bed in a relaxed state, it can be almost as restorative as sleeping.
  • Contain your negative thoughts : Only allow yourself to worry in a certain time and place. When you think of a worry write it on a piece of paper and put it in a box. By writing down your worry and putting it in a box, you are literally containing it until your designated worry time. This means your brain can be rest assured that you till attend to this worry.
  • Relaxation exercises for sleep : If you feel stressed during the day, this can impact your sleep at night. A state of relaxation is incompatible with tension and there are a variety of ways to achieve a calm mindset before bed like gentle stretching, mindfulness and meditative practices, soothing music and relaxation exercises.
  • Gratitude & Sleep : Turns out gratitude is related to positive sleeping patterns including decreased time to fall asleep, better sleep quality and duration, and less daytime dysfunction. So add a gratitude journal to your pre sleep routine. It is as simple as writing down three new things that you are grateful for every night.

In general, remember that sleep is a priority in your life. It helps you perform at your best and be healthy. Consider what habits may be increasing your anxiety and try the techniques above to help you relax and get ready for bed.

1. francisashis says:

Very useful tips.I have problem in sleeping immediately after putting my head on the pillow so I recite a particular prayer repeatedly and that’s the key to my sound sleep because it’s impossible for an ordinary person to pray for long time. Thanks a lot for sharing.

Yes Francis. At the end of every day there’s nothing better we can do than to give it all to God. To lay down our worries and cares. To thank him for his blessings and his presence through every hour of the day. To recognize the ways he’s led us, offered protection over our families, and provided for our needs. And though often we know that to be true, it can be difficult to really let everything go. Or we forget to even give him thanks for the constant way he’s at work in our lives.

1. francisashis says:

Exactly,we ought to thank the Lord for his generosity. He overlooks our shortcomings and our sinful ways of living and keeps us safe and secure hence we should make use of that particular time when we stop all our works and concentrate on proper sleep.Thank you very much for the lovely piece of advice and I appreciate it wholeheartedly. 🌹🙏

Gratitude is healing.

3. francisashis says:

Exactly, I appreciate your short reply with great insights. 🙏👍

Merry Christmas Francis.

5. francisashis says:

Thank you very much for your wishes.God bless🙏🌹

7. francisashis says:

Most welcome dear🌹🙏

🙂🙏🏼

2. Great article. Something that I have found very helpful is, just before I go to sleep, I write down any thought that is in my head. It could be a ToDo item, random thoughts, ideas etc. My record is 108. Once all these things are written down I find it so much easier to fall asleep. 🙂

That is a very good tip you have shared here. It helps in emptying your mind. Quite similar to journaling. I journal sometimes when I feel overwhelmed.

3. Lily says:

I have trouble getting to sleep so I’ll try some of these tonight.

Sure Lily. Awareness is the first step to healing.

4. shaun Moser says:

Man, do ever I get that one… I’m still struggling with alcoholism because I have every sleep disorder known to man. I will literally go to bed at nine, and toss and turn until my alarm goes off at five. It’s a deal with the Devil: Play it straight and get no sleep at all, or drink too much and go to work with a hangover… and a blessed three hours of sleep.

Try try try till you succeed Shaun. Sometimes persistence is everything and so is consistency.

5. shaun Moser says:

True, true… persistence is good!

Yes Shaun. There will always be people who will tell you something can’t be done, your product or service won’t succeed, you aren’t good enough, and so on. Stay away from naysayers; instead seek advice from those experienced in your field of endeavor and those who want you to succeed. They can assist you by making suggestions and recommendations based on their experience and expertise. You will still have to do the hard work, but there is nothing more encouraging than having positive reinforcement.