Mental Health Professionals

This article can help you if you need help, but you’re not sure about the type of mental health professional to see. If you want more information about what different mental health professionals do and if you want to know how to get help from a mental health professional.

Learn about mental health professionals and the differences between doctors, counsellors, psychologists, psychiatrists, youth workers and social workers here :

  • Psychologist (Ph.D or Psy.D) – Earn doctorate in psychology and go through special training to provide mental health and assessment services. They are your go-to for diagnostic assessments (like ADD or Bi-Polar), but they can also provide counselling one-on-one or in a group setting.
  • Psychiatrist (M.D. or D.O.) – The only mental health professional who can prescribe medication. They go to medical school and an additional 4 years of residency training in psychiatry. They can run assessments but typically don’t work exclusively as counsellors.
  • Social Worker (LMSW) – Earn master’s degree or Ph.D in social work and receive training in community and social welfare. They often work as counsellors focusing on areas like finances, housing, and access to government benefits.
  • Marriage & Family Therapist (LMFT) – Earn master’s degree or Ph.D in marriage and family therapy and focus on family systems. They do counselling with families, couples, and individuals and treat problems as relational issues.
  • Counselor (LPC, LHMC) – Earn master’s degree or Ph.D in counselling and focus on individual and group therapy. They treat problems as individual issues and may get additional training in specific areas like trauma, child counselling etc.
  • Life Coach – Does not require any credentials or license. Anyone can be a life coach regardless of training or education, but often coaches will seek out certification of some kind. Look for a coach that has a specialty and education.

Not sure how to find the person you need to talk to? A visit to your GP is always a great place to start. 

9 Comments Add yours

  1. cdmox says:

    Social Worker also can be trained psychotherapists. Some choose to be clinically trained to provide mental health therapy and work with individuals, groups and families. We can teach, research, run for office, etc.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Garima says:

      Thank you for the information 🙂


  2. cdmox says:

    Social workers do have a systems focus and can be trained clinical psychotherapists; providing mental health treatment to individuals, groups and families. We can also be researchers, run for office, teach, etc.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Garima says:

      Thank you for the information/)


  3. terreblogger says:

    Corrected Post : Advanced Practice Registered Nurses that are Clinical Nurse Specialists or Nurse Practitioners can also be mental health providers based on their education and training. They must have at a minimum a Master’s degree in Psychiatric Mental Health. They are often nationally board certified by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC). Thank you.

    Liked by 1 person

  4. Nice content with sound clarity.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Garima says:

      Thank you Prakaash. Talking to a doctor or mental healthcare professional, such as a psychiatrist, about mental health issues or emotional difficulties is a positive step towards improving your mental health. Being honest and open will help a patient get the most appropriate treatment for their needs.

      Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.