Use Social Media Safely

Social network sites are unarguably an inseparable part of our lives now. Some people indeed choose not to use them, but there are huge benefits of using one. However, the social medias come as double-edged sword. If you’re using it not wise enough, it may actually ended up hurting yourself.

Of course, there are a lot of ways to use social medias wisely and more beneficially. Here are few ways to stay healthy and wise with social media :

• Limit the time you spend on social media. Ha, but it doesn’t get simpler than this. Check objectively how much time you spend on each platform. Try setting yourself a time limit that suits your life best. There are plenty of apps to help with this.
  • Monitor where you see social media most. Commit to not checking social media during meals with family and friends, and when playing with children or talking with a partner.
  • No screens in the bedroom. Don’t keep your phone or computer in the bedroom, as it can’t disrupt your sleep.
  • Try having a detox. Go for a few days without social media. See how you feel. If you start to have anxiety you might have the case of FOMO (fear of missing out). Watch yourself for signs of addiction.
  • Pay attention to how you feel. If whatever you seeing makes you feel worst, not good enough, anxious then stop it. There is no reason for you to feel this way. Content that doesn’t benefit your life, doesn’t have a place in it at all.
  • Clean your feed. Over time you find yourself having lots of online friends, organisations, businesses that you follow. Some content might still be interesting, other might be not relevant, boring or simply annoying. Clean, delete, unfollow often. It’s like cleaning your closet, it’s good for your head.
  • Turn off notifications. There is nothing so important that you have to know about it the minute it appears online. Live your life on your own schedule, don’t be chained to the cell phone.
  • Go outside and meet with people. Invite your friend for a coffee, go out, see people, go for a date. Don’t limit your social interaction only to online.

Don’t post things that can put you in danger as well, like “I’m home alone now,” “Nobody’s home,” etc. There are real cases that some people take advantage of these situations to commit crime you don’t want one. Do you have any advices of your own? Feel free to share it in the comments.

This is so essential these days Sandra. It gets difficult to have a normal meaningful conversion with people because they are so. Engrossed in their phones and social media. Won’t you agree?

So am I. Sorry 😐

2. When I catch myself I make the adjustments tho. So I’m at least mindful of it now. 🙌🏾

Which is the first step to success for anything. Way to go.

2. Such wonderful advice especially to check-in with how you are feeling on Social. Thank you

It’s very important, the feelings. Something we are doing for pleasure should not bring anxiety.

1. This makes a great deal of sense and it is something that I try to put into practice each and every day.
    Social media interaction can be both positive and negative at the same time.
    I actually think sometimes that a technology detox is a good thing to do.

I agree Paul. A digital detox is an opportunity to reduce stress and focus more on interaction with others. And it can also help prevent addiction to tech devices. In addition, a digital detox provides time to experience nature, get physical exercise, and practice mindfulness

1. Absolutely and in today’s connected world everyone seems to think that you have to be available all of the time.
        I personally set my phone to knock off at 10.00 pm at the latest.
        Enjoy the remainder of your weekend.

👍🏼👍🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

Why is that Noah. Didn’t you like it?

1. Noah Jemilu says:

I love your Post, I meant we should be careful what we post on Social Media. (Personal lives and details)

Ah yes Noah. Thank you for clarifying.

3. “Content that doesn’t benefit your life, doesn’t have a place in it at all.” So well said! I write about this daily, our right to protect and manage our time, so much that I have a book coming out, Meditations for Writers, about our right to boundaries on internet use.

I will look forward to your book. I am excited already.

4. MindCracker says:

I completely agree. Recently I did a great clean-up and set auto time limit for usage on mobile 🙂 feeling a bit better 🙂
    Thx

Way to go. I wished I was as motivated as you are. But starting now.

5. hmaxwell217 says:

We’re past that point now

6. Vihani says:

Very helpful article Garima. I limited my use of social media few years back and found more meaning in my life after doing it. And a lot of free time to spend on my self development and interactions with friends and family. Just like you have mentioned I believe that it’s all about finding the balance. To have healthy limits on our social media usage.

Have a wonderful day and thanks for sharing this very important message.

Thanks Vihani. It’s also important to follow the right people in social media. Follow people and things that bring you joy. A lot of social media content is highly curated and may represent lifestyles and attitudes that don’t exist. To account for this, consider limiting the number of people you follow on social media. This could mean only following those who are close to you, make you feel good, and will be there when you need them.

7. Manoj Mehra says:

Social media is doing more harm than good. There is only negativity and propaganda there. It is just ruining people.

I agree Manoj. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Researchers discovered something frightening about Facebook addiction: one in three people felt worse after visiting Facebook and more dissatisfied with their lives.
      Certainly, not every interaction with Facebook is a negative one. But typically, our own experience validates their research. From family happiness to body image to vacation destinations to the silly number of birthday greetings on a Facebook wall, the opportunity for envy presents itself often on social media. Powering-down for a period of time provides an opportunity to reset and refocus appreciation and gratitude for the lives we have been given. It allows us to remember how to be happy without all the screens.

8. All phones in our home are switched off and put into a basket each night. But sadly people are finding it increasingly difficult to unplug themselves.

That is a very good practice. “Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you.” —Anne Lamott

Technology has some wonderful benefits. I use it almost every day. And I would never, ever argue against the responsible use of it.
      However, that being said, it is becoming increasingly obvious that our world is developing an unhealthy attachment to it. Addiction to our technology and overall cell phone addiction is becoming too common.

9. Giving this post the thumbs up!

Thank you. I am glad you liked it.