“I just want to be happy!” Whether you have said this, or heard it from someone else, it’s a pretty common theme in our current culture. Everyone wants to be “happy.” The only problem is they don’t know what this means or how to make it happen.
Happiness comes from the activities we engage in and attitude we hold. Learning to fill up our “half-empty glass,” finding value and opportunities in setbacks, and intentionally engaging in positive experiences can all be ways to live a happier life. Happiness is an emotion, and just like all other emotions it’s fleeting and impermanent, however there are certain activities and ways of living that can help us create a happier life.
Below you’ll find some keys to happiness :
- Show Gratitude. Sorry for overdosing on gratitude posts but gratitude is important. A simple thank you, to God, the sky, earth, to the universe or to no one in particular, is all it takes to ramp up your happiness levels. This simple gesture is a sure way to make you notice the small but wonderful things that happen hundreds of times each day.
- Be Optimistic. I mean do you want to be miserable all the time by thinking sad negative things and then add to your frustration? To take an optimistic spin on every occurrence is not always easy but certainly a wonderful habit to cultivate. Decide that your glass is always half full, never half empty and see how opportunities and happiness multiply.
- Look After Yourself. It is important to get enough exercise, fun and relaxation, sleeping well and eating healthy. These are gifts you can give yourself each and every day to help you relearn how to be happy, investments in your present and future that will pay off with massive increases in self-esteem, energy and happiness.
- Slow Down. If you’re rushing through life, multi-tasking and trying to get everything done as fast as possible, your life is flying past you and you’re simply not appreciating each beautiful moment of it. Take a few deep breaths. Slow down. Look around, smell the air, listen for the tiniest sounds and get into the present moment. You’ll free yourself from the stress of rushing and find a deeper satisfaction and happiness in life.
- Enjoy absorbing hobbies. A lot of people ask me how do I churn 3 posts everyday, and I tell them I enjoy reading and writing. These are the only two things I do for my creative self everyday. Keeps me relaxed if not happy. Happy people are often very passionate about their hobbies, they invest a lot of time and energy into them and reap huge rewards in return.
- Forgive. This is a tough one. I want to forgive a lot of people in my life for my own peace of mind but I think its a process and not a one day job to forgive someone. Whenever I feel hurt by past memories, I try to forgive with a hope that these thoughts will cease to exist one day. Good eye contact is probably the most important technique to practice if you wish to appear calm, honey, friendly and confident.
- Make time for friends. Happy people know that friendships are top of the list of priorities and time should be carved out to nurture these important relationships. Loneliness is a terrible thing that causes depression and related illnesses so invest time and energy into good friendships and you will be repaid in dividends by the joy these relationships bring to you.
Look for the adventure and meaning that fills you life and start engaging more fully every day. Acting intentionally and taking responsibility for our happiness if freeing and gives us greater control of our feelings. You can begin to develop your own plan to being happier according to your personal needs and values. Practice taking control of your happiness today by using your strengths, being content with what you have, engaging in life, and building positive relationships.