Superfoods are exactly that, foods with superior nutritional value. They can include anything from the foods you may eat every day like berries, spinach, apples, broccoli and kale. They also include some of the incredibly powerful foods you may have been hearing about such as quinoa, hemp seeds, chia, bee pollen, spirulina, maca or even blue green algae.
Here are 10 different superfoods that will help drive your weight loss efforts while also nourishing your body, strengthening your immune system, helping you feel happier than even before.
- Avocado – This superfood is one of the best sources of polyunsaturated fat, and will help reduce your risk for heart disease in addition to helping you lose weight. Avocados are also high in folic acid, potassium, vitamins A,B,C,E and K, and fibre. Fibre will help you feel full and satisfied for longer periods of time.
- Blueberries – This superfood is rich in a number of antioxidants that help reduce your risk for serious chronic diseases such as caner. Compounds in blueberries can also help prevent ulcers, urinary tract infections, glaucoma, and cataracts, and will slow down the aging process in general. If you have been experiencing circulation problems as a result of being overweight, blueberries can help improve circulation and regulate blood pressure levels.
- Broccoli – This superfood has been found to contain antioxidants that can help ward off cancer, while also lowering cholesterol and promoting bone health which can help those at risk for osteoporosis. Broccoli is high in calcium, folic acid, vitamins A and C, and fibre. Consume broccoli raw, or steam this healthy vegetable to gain maximum nutritional benefits.
- Fatty Fish – This superfood are high in healthy omega -3 fatty acids, such as tuna, mackerel, and salmon. Fatty fish can lower the risk for heart disease and the development of blood clots, and can reduce high blood pressure levels. Fatty types of fish are also high in protein, the intake of which is especially important for those who exercise on a regular basis and those who have undergone weight loss surgery.
- Green Tea – This superfood is associated with multiple weight loss and health benefits including the ability to lower the risk for type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and most cancers due to its anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidative properties. Drink green tea following meals to increase your metabolism and promote healthy digestion, and add natural sweeteners of lemon and grapefruit to liven its taste.
- Nuts – Superfoods like avocado and fatty fish, nuts are high in omega -3 aft acids that can lower cholesterol and the risk for heart disease. Most nuts such as walnuts and almonds also contain vitamin E and L-arginine, which can educe the risk for cognitive decline, depression, type 2 diabetes, and breast cancer. Eat nuts as a snack in-between meals or before workouts for an added energy boost.
- Oats – This superfood is a major source of soluble fibre, which can lower cholesterol and high blood pressure levels. Oats are also high in magnesium, vitamin B1, and zinc, all of which can strengthen immune system function and help drive weight loss.
- Soy – Soy products such as tofu are high in omega-3 fatty acids, polyunsaturated fats, and protein, and can reduce the risk for bone loss and osteoporosis, heart disease, prostate cancer, and breast cancer. Soy also has the ability to help relieve symptoms associated with arthritis and menopause.
- Spinach – Spinach contains high levels of flavonoids, which are compounds that help slow down the division of abnormal cells that are linked to most types of cancers. Spinach is rich in a number of antioxidants, as well as vitamins A,C,E, and K, and contains anti inflammatory properties that can reduce most age-related diseases, including heart disease.
- Yogurt – This superfood contains live cultures and probiotics that promote good gut health ad digestion, and can fight off “bad” gut bacteria that can increase the risk for illness. Yogurt is also high in minerals and vitamins such as magnesium, potassium, calcium, and vitamin B.