People have fasted as a spiritual practice since ancient times. Today, there are a lot of people claiming that fasting also has a lot of health benefits. And, in fact, research shows that short fasts, lasting anywhere from 20 to 36 hours can in fact reduce some risks for heart disease and diabetes and maybe even cancer.
Here are a few benefits of fasting :
- Longevity – Research shows that fasting forces the body to produce new cells and dispose of the damaged ones, leaving you with a new and improved immune system. This could be the secret to longevity.
- Heart Health – Fasting can treat hypertension by normalising blood pressure. It can also improve cholesterol levels and treat atherosclerosis.
- Brain Health – Fasting boosts mental clarity, improves concentration and focus. Research shows that fasting eliminates damaged cells and increases the production of new stem cells. This is particularly beneficial for the brain and for the prevention of degenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s.
- Fight Inflammation – Fasting helps reduce inflammation in the body, treating long time injuries, swellings, and different pains and aches. Fasting improves conditions such as arthritis, joint pain and back aches.
- Detoxification – Fasting cleanses you at a cellular level. Toxins from environmental pollutants, food additives, medication etc. are stores in the body and accumulate. Fasting encourages the elimination of all that waste, which improves health greatly.
- Prevention – Research show that fasting can help prevent chronic diseases like heart disease and diabetes, degenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and dementia.
- Treatment of Diabetes – Fasting can reduce blood sugar levels, encourage weight loss and to improve overall health, which is all limned to the management of type 2 diabetes.
- Weight Loss – Fasting encourage healthy weight loss and fat burning. After 2-3 days of fasting, the body will burn fat cells for energy. People tend to lose 10 points during a 7-day fast.
Read more on Pray Love Wellness