Basics of Keto Diet

Keto is short for ketogenic, a very low carb, moderate protein and high fat diet. The goal of a keto diet is to lead to ketosis, where your body uses fat (no carbs) for fuel.

When carbs are reduced to <50g/day, insulin is low. Your liver produces molecules called ketones. After 2-3 weeks, your cells become keto-adapted, using ketones and fat for fuel.

Keto diet has been said to be effective for diabetes. Not only does the nutrient value has less glucose coming in, your body becomes more sensitive to it, and systemic insulin resistance is reduced over time. Studies how that a keto diet can even reverse diabetes in some cases.

Although a high fat diet, ketogenic programs also show a reduction in total cholesterol reduction. In a study, not only did fasting blood sugar fall 51%, but total cholesterol fell 29% and LDL cholesterol fell 33%.

Keto requires a specific balance of carbs, fat and protein. You’ll need to follow the plan carefully, but there’s a lot to eat. Meat, diary, green vegetables, nuts, seeds and more. If you’re on any medication, check with your doctor to make sure no changes are needed.

1. PankajS says:

Great post, ๐Ÿ‘

Thank you Pankaj. The first two to six weeks are virtually the ketogenic adaptation phase, where your body is going through the adaptation of switching to relying primarily on fat versus glucose or carbohydrates. He adds that to really see results, you should follow the diet for a minimum of three months.

1. PankajS says:

yeah, first two to six weeks are important. well i lost almost 10kgs by this diet. m’a fan of it.

2. Ankit says:

Good… But changing your body fuel is not an easy task. If one count on proper macros (a balanced mix of carbs, fats & proteins) then keto diet is actually not required…

My Viewpoint ๐Ÿ˜„

Good point ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

2. Lyn says:

A KETO diet is not required but for those who need direction this is a wonderful way to go. I have been on lots of diets over many years I have lost LOTS of weight but over a 6 month period I dropped 20 lbs and have not (Over the past 6 months) I have been able to keep the weight at bay. I will recommend it to anyone willing to try.

Lyn

1. Ankit says:

I second that Lyn… ๐Ÿ˜€ Keto is definitely for those who are “willing to try” ๐Ÿ˜‰

3. Adil Parray says:

I can’t say I haven’t tried, and failed. Ketogenic diet is very difficult for a person like me who loves food.

๐Ÿ™‚ Itโ€™s okay, we all have our own way to losing weight. One size doesnโ€™t fit all.

4. joliesattic says:

I can vouch for that. My cholesterol and BP were the best they’ve ever been after doing Keto. I quit a few months ago and boy have I seen a difference in both depression and cravings. I am back on it now going on two weeks and my energy level is returning and I am beginning to feel more ambitious. Of course, some of that may have to do with the sun shining lately, lol.

Glad to hear that Jolie. Losing even a moderate amount of weight on the keto diet can help lessen cardiovascular risk factors such as obesity, high blood pressure and, according to a 2017 study, result in lower LDL (โ€œbadโ€) cholesterol and higher HDL cholesterol, which helps protect against heart disease.