Successful relationships, we want them, we want to live them. Most of us want to meet and settle down with the “right” person and make such a relationship last. What are some of the most important ideas when it comes to making your love last?
Here are some principles stated by Dr. John Gottman that you will find useful :
- Enhance you love maps. You know all of your partner’s relevant information, from life dreams to favourite movies, as a best friend would.
- Nurture fondness and admiration. You have a positive view and deep appreciation of your partner, and express it.
- Turn towards your partner instead of away during times of stress. you want your partner to be that confidante.
- Let your partner influence you. You shouldn’t make important life decision autonomously, as a single person would.
- Solve your solvable problems. All couples have solvable and perpetual problems, but long term couples solve those they can and understand there will always be perpetual problems.
- Overcome gridlock. What often underlies perpetual problems are unfulfilled dreams. Talk about those dreams with the goal of making peace with the problem.
- Create shared meaning. Develop the big and small rituals that help build the bond with your partners. Rituals range from hosting an annual party to having coffee together in the morning.