GERD Diet Basics

Gastroesophageal reflux disease, or GERD, occurs when stomach acid used for digestion repeatedly backs up, or refluxes, into the esophagus. GERD is also known as acid reflux disease. Heartburn, often described as pain or burning in the chest, is a common symptom of GERD. Other symptoms include sour taste in the mouth, burning in the throat, and burping.

The following tips can help to relieve your symptoms of GERD :

Dietary Changes

• ย Eat 4-6 smaller meals each day, rather than 3 large meals.
  • Eat slowly and chew food well.
  • Wait at least 2-3 hours after eating before laying flat or going to bed.
  • The following foods may worsen your symptoms. Avoid these foods if they bother you : Black or red pepper, High-fat or fried foods, Coffee (regular or decaffeinated) Black tea (regular or decaffeinated), Alcohol, Chocolate, Peppermint or spearmint (e.g. tea, gum, or candy), Caffeinated beverages & Carbonated beverages.

Lifestyle Changes

• Lose weight if you are overweight.
  • Raise the head of your bed 6-8 inches if you have nighttime reflux. Use a wedge under the mattress or blocks of wood under the legs of the head of the bed.Extra pillows are not helpful, and may worsen reflux.
  • Chew gum or use oral lozenges to increase saliva and help clear acid from your throat.
  • Stop smoking or chewing tobacco.
  • Wear loose-fitting clothes.
  • Limit or reduce stress in your life. Try yoga, listening to music,exercise and sports, or any other activity that you find relaxing.

Talk to your doctor about your symptoms. With continued exposure to stomach acid, the esophagus may become irritated and possibly even damaged, a condition known as erosive esophagitis.

Reference : https://health.ucdavis.edu/food-nutrition/pdf/GI%20-%20Reflux.pdf

1. Bob Stoner says:

and I thought peppermint was good for this as well.

2. Kikibee says:

This was indeed a post made for me!

3. Kikibee says:

Downloaded the pdf as well! ๐Ÿ˜

4. Captivating , brilliant ma’am ๐Ÿ‘โœŒ๏ธ๐Ÿ’ฏ

I am glad you found them useful

5. Rama says:

Quite useful. Shared with my fellow student!!

Glad you liked it Sir.

6. gpavants says:

Garima,

Super helpful. I have peeps in my life who have this. Me, too. I think this time is great fir working in these issues.

Have a great Monday,

Gary

The Acid Reflux – Gut Dysbiosis Connection. Dysbiosis is a condition that occurs when there is an imbalance between good bacteria and bad bacteria in the gut. There are two ways acid reflux and gut dysbiosis are linked. The first is that heartburn or reflux actually might be a symptom of an unbalanced gut microbiome.

1. gpavants says:

So balance of pre and pro biotics could help?

Yes they will Gary. Also try eliminating Gluten from the diet for a week and see if there is a difference.

7. Avoid “Black or red pepper, … Coffee (regular or decaffeinated) Black tea (regular or decaffeinated), Alcohol, Chocolate, … Caffeinated beverages.”? I’m in trouble. ๐Ÿ™‚

There are always healthier options

1. Yes, indeedy. However, I limit myself to one strong cup of coffee a day, and sometimes black teas as well. I used to live on Celestial Seasonings teas, and I still have some non-caf teas, but I love the flavor of black teas and coffee. Pepper is my primary condiment. I live in New Mexico, so red chile is a requisite part of my diet (and green chile too). But none of those bother me. I’d noticed that alcohol brings on acid reflux, but I’ve lost interest in it anyway. Sometimes I still drink it, and there’s a point past where I get acid reflux. Chocolate is not that important to me, but occasionally I like some, and it has no effect. I think, with moderation, I’m OK with my choices. There are things I can do without, but for some things, I’m commited for life.

Itโ€™s like you have things sorted. Let me know if you still have gut symptoms. I am a physician, happy to help ๐Ÿ™‚