Life With Anxiety

Occasional anxiety is a normal part of life. You might feel anxious when faced with a problem at work, before taking a test, or making an important decision. But anxiety disorders involve more than temporary worry or fear. For a person with an anxiety disorder, the anxiety does not go away and can get worse over time. The feelings can interfere with daily activities such as job performance, school work, and relationships. There are several different types of anxiety disorders. Examples include generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder, and social anxiety disorder.

Here are few ways to fight or prevent anxiety on a daily basis :

• Call someone you trust. Let them know that your anxiety has gotten the best of you and that you need their support. That may mean asking them to stay on the line with you until you’ve worked through your symptoms, or coming over to keep you company and help put your mind at ease. If you can’t get in touch with a friend or family member, go to http://www.warmline.org to find someone to talk to in your state.
  • Do something physical. Take a brisk walk, go up and down the stairs, or do some jumping jacks. Give your body a way to physically use up some of its excess energy.
  • Distract yourself—try an adult coloring book, knit or crochet, draw. Repetitive activities can have a calming effect similar to meditation.
  • Go somewhere safe and quiet, and challenge yourself to have a full-blown anxiety attack. Many people find that directly challenging themselves to have an anxiety attack actually has the opposite effect.
  • Deep breathing can help. One popular technique is belly breathing: Lay on your back and breathe in through your nose, watching your belly rise as you inhale. Hold your breath for a few seconds then exhale deeply through your mouth, watching your belly fall as you exhale. Repeat until you notice yourself feeling more relaxed. Alternatively, singing can also regulate your breathing if you find yourself starting to hyperventilate.
  • Write it down. Getting thoughts out of your head and onto paper can be helpful. This could be making a to-do list to organize your thoughts if your mind is racing and it’s hard to focus, or writing in a journal to express what is bothering you.
  • Focus on things you can control and take action. Pick out your clothes for the week, plan your meals for the next couple days, organize your desk—taking care of small things empowers you to take charge when it comes to larger tasks.

Reference : https://www.memorialbehavioralhealth.org/Portals/12/PDF/MBH-Health-and-Wellness/Life-with-Anxiety-Fact-Sheet.pdf

1. mitchteemley says:

Excellent advice (been there).

Ah yes, we have all been there at some point. An anxiety or panic attack often comes on suddenly, with symptoms peaking within 10 minutes. For doctors to diagnose a panic attack, they look for at least four of the following signs: sweating, trembling, shortness of breath, a choking sensation, chest pain, nausea, dizziness, fear of losing your mind, fear of dying, feeling hot or cold, numbness or tingling, a racing heart (heart palpitations), and feeling unusually detached from yourself.

2. nellycherry says:

Great post. Hope others get inspired 😇😇

Thank you. Anxiety has very subtle signs and they are usually diagnosed when it’s late. Need to be careful of it.

3. Totally agree with all your points here Garima!!

Many people experience anxiety at some point in their lives. In fact, anxiety is a very normal response to stressful life events like moving, changing jobs or having financial troubles. However, when symptoms of anxiety become larger than the events that triggered them and begin to interfere with your life, they could be signs of an anxiety disorder.

1. yes true!! I had anxiety when i moved to a new city, but eventually I made myself understand why we are here and then all was good. 🙂

I somewhere feel that’s the key… I have noticed it in myself that whenever I talk to my mind (don’t think I am mad, it actually works) and tell it, that this is what you need to feel or this is what I want to do, Or it will all be okay, it works!! But i have to consciously keep telling it that.

Again another movie reference (I am a little filmy) In 3 idiots, if you remember the “all is well” phrase. That is so true… You just need to make yourself understand and you will.

Ah “All is Well”. Thank you for sharing this. Needed this today.

3. You are welcome Garima! 🙂 All is well!

4. Really good info specially at this point of time of lockdown, where mental health is taking a big toll on everyone. Thanks for sharing Garima !!!

Most welcome. Hope it’s useful.

5. Very well said.. thank you for sharing!!

Glad you found it useful. Anxiety should be taken lightly.

6. You will overcome anxiety when you realize that you are in control of your thoughts, most of the time it stems from our past that we never healed from. We have to let go in order to take control of the reigns.

Yes indeed. The only person we can save is ourselves. When practiced regularly relaxation techniques such as mindfulness meditation, progressive muscle relaxation, and deep breathing can reduce anxiety symptoms and increase feelings of relaxation and emotional well-being. Exercise regularly. Exercise is a natural stress buster and anxiety reliever.

1. I agree 100% keep up the great work.

3. Anytime, I myself have been working on my business on a few different platforms. I try my best to alternate between keeping all pages active and updated. Any tips on building audience on word press?

Writing regularly is one thing that has worked for me 🙂

5. Does short or long articles work best? I feel it depends on the topic.

Anything you want to begin with.

7. Leo Ferreira says:

Great advice, I have had my own rollercoaster, but I’ve gotten into daily meditation, yoga, tapping and positive affirmations. It’s made a difference in my life to channel positive energy at the start and end of my day. My days aren’t perfect; my quiet time helps it.

Oh quiet time does help Leo.