Exercise and Depression

Research suggests that regular exercise may increase the level of brain serotonin, a neurotransmitter involved in regulating mood, sleep, libido, appetite and other functions .

Problems in the serotonin pathways of the brain have been linked to depression. Exercise can also increase the level of endorphins in the brain which have ‘mood-lifting’ properties.

Here are some of the benefits of exercises on mental health :

• Increases energy levels
  • Improves sleep
  • Distracts from worries and rumination
  • Provides social support and reducing loneliness if exercise is done with other people
  • Increases a sense of control and self-esteem, by allowing people to take an active role in their own wellbeing.

Apart from mental health, exercises also helps in prevention of numerous (including life threatening) medical conditions such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes, osteoporosis, strokes and certain types of cancers.

Exercise recommendations :

• A minimum of 30 minutes of moderate intensity exercise on most, preferably all, days of the week; An example of ‘moderate intensity’ exercise is brisk walking where as slight increase in breathing and heart rate is noticeable.
  • Exercising for at least 10 minutes at a time – the 30 minutes total does not need to be continuous; Short sessions of different activities can be combined to make up a total of 30 minutes exercise or more each day.
  • Being active in as many ways as possible each day (e.g. using the stairs instead of a lift).

References : https://www.blackdoginstitute.org.au/docs/default-source/factsheets/exercise_depression.pdf?sfvrsn=8

1. Yes, I try to do at least an hour of resistance exercises 3 times per week and moderate intensity exercises on the remaining days. This, in addition to, trying to maintain a healthy diet as well. Thanks for sharing. I’m always looking for ways to tweak my lifestyle for the better.

That’s great.

2. Fomtriok says:

Thank you for the reminder!

Most welcome. Let’s exercise 🙌🏼🙌🏼

3. I’m going to tell you. I definitely felt a difference in my mood when I went about 3 weeks without working out. It is just a different feeling for me and I found that that I could not function or was too irritable/down when I did not work out. So, I definitely agree with you there that exercise is very beneficial to one’s health. Thank you for sharing.

I agree. Regular exercise can have a profoundly positive impact on depression, anxiety, ADHD, and more. It also relieves stress, improves memory, helps you sleep better, and boosts your overall mood. Best exercise is said to Aerobic or gym exercise – The Lancet Psychiatry study found that high-intensity aerobic exercise helped promote good mental health. Examples of this type of exercise include using the stair master and elliptical machines.

4. Oke Iroegbu says:

Honestly each morning i exercise I feel more like Hercules and could take on any task. Nice post.

Hahahha yes that’s the good hormones rush from the exercise. Way to go. Keep exercising.

5. Exercise has definitely been invaluable for my mental and physical well-being. What a great post!

Mental health benefits of exercise If you exercise regularly, it can reduce your stress and symptoms of mental health conditions like depression and anxiety, and help with recovery from mental health issues. It can also improve your sleep, which is important in many different ways. Glad you liked the post Jessica.

6. Highly informative content.Can I reblog it.Thanks 💐💐💐

Yes please. You can reblog it.

7. I agree 100%. More exercise leads to fewer drugs (prescription or otherwise) and a better world made up of happier people.

Multiple studies report that exercise is effective at reducing drug self-administration when initiated only after regular patterns of drug intake have been established – a period of time analogous to that experienced by clinical populations undergoing formal treatment.