Next time you’re pressing for something you want, whether it’s a salary increase or the last pineapple in the produce section – here are 10 words that can help you get it.
- Because – “Because is the conduit you will use to explain your motivation for every element of your request.
- Thanks – If you start your conversation with gratitude, you’ll start everything off on a good note.
- You – Don’t make it about yourself. Make your listener the centre of the conversation.
- If – “If” gives you the opportunity to break a situation down to its most basic terms by exploring hypothetical outcomes.
- Could – Using the word “could” implies openness, unlike the word “won’t” or “never”.
- We – Like the word “you”, “we”takes some of the focus off your own self-interest.
- Together – “Together” works much the same way that “we” does. It implies a degree of familiarity and cooperation.
- Fact – Using more facts in your dialogue will help you strengthen your position.
- Open – Don’t shut down requests with “no” or “never” and try being “open” to further negotiation.
- Will – Stating that you “will” do something provides a clear vision and mitigates the possibility of miscommunication.
Reference : https://www.entrepreneur.com/slideshow/308244