We all know that food can improve the way we feel, but did you know that certain foods can improve your mood? It’s true! Eating certain foods can improve your happiness. We all know that eating healthy is important no matter what our age. But it is particularly important for seniors to eat healthy to avoid many health issues.
What are some of these super foods that can improve how you feel? Here’s a list :
- Banana – Bananas can increase the production of serotonin and dopamine. Important neurotransmitters for happiness.
- Grapes – Grapes are full of vitamin C and natural sugars, both of which enhance mood and boost energy.
- Tomatoes – Tomato skins help stop the pro-inflammatory compounds that are linked to depression.
- Almonds – Almonds contain good fats for skin and brain health. They also increase dopamine levels.
- Green Tea – Green tea contains L- theanine, an amino acid that decreases anxiety and stress.
- Strawberries – Strawberries are a great source of potassium and vitamin C. Potassium can help generate nerve impulses.
- Dark Chocolate – Dark chocolate improves blood flow to the brain, and is almost immediately noticeable in brightening your mood.
- Avocado – Avocados are great for your skin and hair, but they also increase dopamine levels and increase endorphins.
- Spinach – Spinach contains vitamins B6, B12 and B3, all of which are essential in producing serotonin.
- Yogurt – Yogurt can boost your vitamin D, just like the sun can. Lack of vitamin D can cause depression.
- Walnuts – Walnuts have omega 3s and antioxidants, both which have benefits. They also contain magnesium, which can reduce irritability, anxiety & depression.
- Asparagus – Asparagus is one of the highest plant based sources for tryptophan, which creates serotonin.
- Water – Water may not be a food, but it is important for our mood. Dehydration can impair our brain’s ability to function.
- Raw Honey – Honey is a source of sweetness without the negative effects of sugar. It helps reduce inflammation in the brain.