Carbohydrates are one of the three main building blocks of food, along with protein and fat. Foods with carbohydrate help fuel your body (like gas fuels a car). Contrary to the claims of some popular diets, foods with carbohydrate do not cause obesity. People gain too much weight if they eat more calories (from all kinds of food) than their bodies burn. Therefore, a diet that “cuts carbs” without reducing total calories won’t help you lose weight. Also, a low- carbohydrate diet may not provide you with enough vitamins, minerals, and fiber for good health.
There are three kinds of carbs :
- Simple Carbs – They convert to sugar much faster in the body, can spoke blood sugar.
- Processed Carbs – They convert to sugar quickly, can spike blood sugar, and are often stripped/devoid of any nutritional value.
- Complex Carbs – They break down more slowly, allowing a more gradual release of energy. Contain fibre and other important vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients.
Carbs also play a major role in weight loss, here how :
- They provide sustainable energy.
- They support weight loss.
- They regulate hormones.
- They support better nights sleep.
There are certain carbs you should avoid, such as :
- While Bread/Pasta
- Potato Chips
- Pasteurised Fruit Juices
- Ice Cream
- Refined Sugar
- Donuts/Baked Goods
There are certain carbs that you should eat :
- Non starchy vegetables
- Sweet Potatoes
- Brown Rice
- Beans and Lentils