The thyroid gland produces the hormones T3 (triiodothyronine) and T4 (Thyroxine) which are critical for the body’s metabolic functions. The Thyroid gland must be stimulated by TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) which is released by the Pituitary gland in the brain.
When out of balance, the thyroid can be over or underachieve with a negative effect an overall health.
- Hyperthyroid – Overactive thyroid : increased metabolism (symptoms include rapid heart rate, weight loss).
- Hypothyroid – Under active thyroid : decreased metabolism (symptoms include sluggishness, weight gain).
Thyroid Disease Treatments – A proper diet and exercise regime can help treat thyroid disease, especially when coupled with the right medicine. The goal is to restore hormonal balance.
- Exercise : Low impact aerobic activity such as walking, water aerobics, yoga and strength-training.
- Diet : Eat foods high in iodine and minerals, like meat, diary, and eggs. Eat your veggies, but choose cruciferous in moderation. Avoid starches, nuts and gluten.
- Medications : Synthyroid is a popular medication used to treat hypothyroidism by simulating T4. Talk to your Doctor for details.
- Exercise : Try weight-bearing exercises and moderate activity like yoga or tai-chi. Aerobic activity can be dine in moderation.
- Diet : Eat foods rich in minerals, healthy fats, and spices. Avoid nitrates, gluten, soy, and foods rich in iodine.
- Medications : Methimazole is known to lower T4 levels. Talk to your doctor for details.
Talk to your doctor today if you think you may be experiencing thyroid symptoms.