What you say is only the tip of the iceberg of communication. The rest lies in your body language: how you hold yourself, your mannerisms, conduct, and even how you breathe. With a little conscious effort to improve your body language, you stand a better chance of scoring that job, that date, or simply being seen as the engaging and genuine person that you are.
Here are some tricks that you can start implementing today to see the different in people’s perception of us :
- Posture – Walk with your shoulders back and chin up. Stand tall. Be proud. Be super-conscious of your stance.
- Facial Expressions – Consciously smile. This will create a warmth about you and people will want to talk to you.
- Voice – Don’t speak too quietly. Use varied intonation to sound more engaging and dynamic.
- Hands – Use purposeful hand movements to reinforce your points and communicate energy.
- Eyes – Maintain direct eye contact when you introduce yourself and while the person is talking to you.
- Walk – Walk calmly, even when you feel in a rush. Calmness communicates confidence.
- Space – Claim as much space as possible regardless of whether you’re sitting or standing.
- Speed – Slow down. Do everything slightly slower and deliberately than you normally would.
- Stay Cool – Be disciplined. Stay calm and collected even when you’re flustered or someone’s winding you up.
- Visualise – Visualise yourself doing all of these things the next time you need to come across with charisma.