Harmful Chemicals In Everyday Products

There are harmful chemicals present in everyday products that we use. We absorb up to 60% of what we put on our skin. Children’s bodies absorb 40-50% more than adults. They are at highest risk for diseases later in life when exposed to toxins. There are many health issues linked to toxic chemicals in the body such as skin allergies, cancer, infertility, birth defects, reproductive problems and learning disabilities.

Here are the list of ingredients to avoid :

• Benzoyl Peroxide – Used in acne products, it is a possible tumor promoter. May act as mutagen; produces DNA damage in human and other mammalian cells. Also, toxic by inhalation. Eye, skin and respiratory tract.
  • DEA (Diethanolamine), MEA (Monoethanolamine), & TEA (Triethanolamine) – This foam booster is a skin/eye irritant and causes contact dermatitis. Easily absorbed through skin to accumulate in body organs & the brain.
  • Dioxin – Won’t appear in ingredients. Often in antibacterial ingredients like triclosan, emulsifiers, PEGs and ethoxylated cleansers like sodium laureth sulfate. Dioxin causes cancer, reduced immunity, nervous system disorders, miscarriages and birth deformity.
  • DMDM Hydantoin & Urea (Imidazolidinyl) – 2 preservatives that release formaldehyde which may cause joint pain, cancer, skin reactions, allergies, depression., headaches, chest pains, ear infections, chronic fatigue, dizziness & insomnia.
  • FD&C Color & Pigments – Synthetic colors from coal tar contain heavy metal salts that deposit toxins in skin, causing skin sensitivity/ irritation. Absorption can cause depletion of oxygen and death. Animal studies show almost all are carcinogenic.
  • Parabens (Methyl, Butyl, Ethyl, Propyl) – Used as preservatives. Not always labeled. Used in deodorants and other skin care products, have been found in breast cancer tumors. May contribute to sterility in males, hormones imbalance in females & early puberty.
  • PEG (Polyethylene glycol) – Made by ethoxylated Propylene Glycol. Dangerous levels of dioxin have been found as a by-product of the ethoxylation process. PEG’s are in everything including personal care, baby care and sunscreens.
  • Phthalates – Found in many products, usually not listed on labels. Health effects include damage to liver/kidneys, birth defects, decreased sperm counts and early breast development in girls and boys.
  • Propylene Glycol (PG) & Butylene Glycol – Petroleum plastics. EPA considers PG so toxic it requires gloves, clothing, goggles & disposal by burying. EPA warns against skin contact to prevent brain, liver and kidney abnormalities.
  • Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) & Sodium Laureth Sulfate – Used in car washes, garage floor cleaners, engine degreasers and 90% of personal care products that foam. Eye damage, depression, labored breathing, diarrhea, skin irritation, & death.
  • Sunscreen Chemicals – Avobenzone, benzophenone, ethoxycinnamate, PABA are commonly used ingredients that are known free radical generators and are believed to damage DNA or lead to cancers.
  • Triclosan – Synthetic antibacterial ingredient. EPA registers it as a pesticide, posing risks to human health and environment. Classified as a chlorophenol, chemicals suspected of causing cancer in humans.

The secret to gorgeous skin lies in nature. Here, why you should knock out all those chemical-laden cosmetics from your dresser.

Thank you. I am glad you liked it. Scientists and researchers are concerned that many of these chemicals may be carcinogenic or wreak havoc with our hormones, our body’s regulating system. But the impact of these chemicals may be most severe on the developing brain

1. Ive read about frozen foods and packaged meals having hundreds of chemicals in them which is scary! Children seem to be more unhealthy than ever

These chemicals, including organophosphates, flame retardants and phthalates, can be found in food, plastics, furniture, food wrap, cookware, cans, carpets, shower curtains, electronics and even shampoo. They are pretty much everywhere around us.

3. wow thank you so much for this informative post! Hopefully shedding more light on this issue will make people more aware of what they buy.

Yes that was my objective for this post. Glad you agree with the cause. Thank you for stopping by today

5. no problem keep up the good work.

1. It’s so scary to think about what we put on our bodies and also what we consume…eep! 😫

Yes it is scary indeed. Organophosphate pesticides (PDF) are a class of neurotoxic chemicals used as warfare agents in the 1930s. However, today, they account for about half of all pesticide use in the United States. And they can make their way onto crops that we use as food sources. Areas that spray pesticides heavily, such as farms, may find higher rates of exposure. Children exposed to higher levels of these pesticides have been found to have higher rates of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. You can reduce your exposure to them by eating organic and using alternative pest control methods. Thank you for stopping by today.

2. Great post ! And many more dangerous chemicals people don’t think of. I’m one of 12.5 million in this country with multiple chemical sensitivity – scary stuff

Hi, that must be terrible. Individuals with chemical sensitivity involving the gut have gastrointestinal symptoms (including crampy abdominal pain, nausea, emesis, diarrhea with fecal urgency) triggered by exposures to chemicals and foods. Many meet diagnostic criteria for irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Check out Digbi Health packages. They are according to your gut biome. https://digbihealth.com

1. Thanks ! Very true. And thanks for the reference. My symptoms are primarily brain ones – neurotoxicity – headache, dizziness, brain fog, memory loss. My heart rate can skyrocket and become irregular. And I can even lose my voice. It’s crazy

Oh it sounds terrible. You really need to take care of your gut. I hope you find the packages in the comments helpful.

3. Thanks ! I’m working on it. And I hope they help too. I’ve read that 60% of our brain nuerotransmitters are manufactured in the gut so there’s a definite gut-brain connection

The vagus nerve is one of the biggest nerves connecting your gut and brain. This suggests that the vagus nerve is important in the gut-brain axis and its role in stress. Gut contains 500 million neurons, which are connected to your brain through nerves in your nervous system

5. Wow ! Amazing creatures we are. And despite what we know, it still seems modern medicine has a lot to catch up on too.

A lot of catching up indeed. It is at the other end of the rope, got to meet half way atleast.

3. Manoj Mehra says:

People buy these expensive products and get these free deadly diseases and harmful side effects in free. Nothing can beat natural things.

I agree Manoj. Alternative medicine is simply referring to a range of medical therapies that are not regarded by traditional medical professions. There are different aspects of alternative medicine including; acupuncture, homeopathy, and herbalism. For you to make the right decision regarding your own health and well-being, it is important to understand the different reasons to choose alternative medicine over traditional means of treatment. Thank you for stopping by today.

4. judeitakali says:

This is so informative Garima, thank you so much

You are very welcome Jude. Thank you for stopping by my blog again. Much appreciated for your time.

1. judeitakali says:

Always my pleasure

5. Great info and confirms all my reasons for getting rid of chemicals in my house and on my skin!

I am glad you liked this article and could relate to it. The most commonly used chemicals in skin products is Parabens. Parabens are used as chemical preservatives in wide array of personal care products such as moisturizers, shampoos, foundations and many more. Over the past few years there has been a huge debate whether parabens are safe to use or not. Some say excessive amount of exposure to parabens may lead to breast cancer, but some argue that daily cosmetic exposure to parabens does not cause you any harm. Basically, everyone’s skin reacts differently depending on various chemicals and skin type. If you would like to take caution, you can definitely find many products without parabens.

1. It’s a really problem I believe that people are not taking into account the thousands of litres of these chemicals that run down the drains and into systems in the cities (and elsewhere) we are a closed circuit on earth – everything we use (whether it is personal choice or not) ends up in our environment. They say the build up of drugs and antibiotics from people’s waste is becoming a problem too.

I agree. We need more thoughtful people like you in this world. Thank you for stopping by.

Glad you found it useful. Thank you for stopping by.

Thank you for sharing this with your readers. I am glad you found it useful.

6. Great article!

I reblogged this (with separate opinion) using a chrome app so you wouldn’t automatically be notified here.

Thank you for the reblog.

Most welcome.

7. Thanks for this health and life protecting information.

You are very welcome. I am glad you liked it. Thank you for stopping by my blog today.

8. Thank You for a very informative article. Little do we realize just how much our lives are intertwined with harmful chemicals. Even those that are said to be safe, typically are not. It is a sad fact of life, there is no getting away from the harmful chemicals. I research my health conditions and address the problems nutritionally because even the medications we take do harm to our bodies. I have always tried to eat a healthy diet, but am much more conscious of it now. You are to be commended for being willing to expose the problem. Thank You for sharing!

I am glad you liked the article. We all have to protect these bodies we have been given.

9. Wow… Thanks for sharing!

Thank you. I am glad you liked my post. Scientists are now realizing the chemicals found in a wide array of household goods are more toxic than previously thought. Since health and wellness is not simply about diet and exercise, but also about limiting exposure to toxic things, it’s a good idea to become aware of these items and take action steps to remove them wherever possible. Thank you for stopping by blog today.

10. Crystal Rose says:

Wonderful….again right on spot.

Thank you Crystal. I am glad you liked the post. Since everything is made of chemicals, it’s probably not surprising to find out that there are a lot of chemicals in the home. Even if we focus on chemicals found in bottles made by humans, there are still a lot. Chemicals are found in hand sanitizers, soaps, bleach, bathroom cleaners, shampoos, conditioners, moisturizers, shaving foams, sunscreens and dishwasher tablets. The truth is that most of these things contain dozens of chemicals.

1. Crystal Rose says:

I am a big one on cleaning so I had to modify the reality of the ‘quick’ clean and don the gloves & such….and more natural as well. I joked about being like a tree if i get anymore granola…lol…I’ve always enjoyed natural so it’s not a huge shift of reality. Yes, I miss my ‘pretty’ lotions as I only use coconut oil for quite some time now. I love the feel…but don’t over do it either. I haven’t the $$ for the smell pretty natural ingredients. They are much more expensive to purchase. ….but either way. Thank you for your shares….I had wrote a book on ‘the pain post’ and then dismissed it…hahah…it’s best for now. [smiling] You’ve been a blessing…thank you

Thank you Crystal for taking out time to read my blog today.

11. I’ve been aware of a lot of those you listed for quite some time, but not all of them. For me, artificial fragrances need to be added to the list. They all give me severe headaches and a particularly severe exposure can impact my nervous system affecting my balance, speech and cognition. My husband and I live fragrance free and we limit the number of chemicals in our daily lives as much as is possible in this modern age. Thanks for getting the word out. Everyone should read this and speak out about it. Only then will corporations take note and start using healthier ingredients.

Thank you Dianne for reminding us of the fragrances and the chemicals in them. 75 percent of products that list fragrance contain the hormone disrupting chemical, phthalates. Phthalates, used to make fragrances last longer, have been linked to many hazardous health conditions, such as reduced sperm count, liver and breast cancers, reproductive malformation and diabetes.

12. Anitaelise says:

Yesss!!! I have moved to skin and home care products my grandparents generation used and I feel it makes a difference to my health, though I can’t actually prove it.

I can understand where you are coming from Anita. It is better not to use products which have chemicals deliberately.

You are welcome. I hope you have cut down on the products with chemicals.

Reblogged this on Be Inspired..!! and commented:

Are you aware of the harmful chemicals in our everyday products? Tap to learn more…!!!

14. Hilde Sago says:

Aw, this was an exceptionally good post. Finding the time and actual effort to create a good article… but what can I say… I put things off a lot and don’t manage to get anything done.