There are harmful chemicals present in everyday products that we use. We absorb up to 60% of what we put on our skin. Children’s bodies absorb 40-50% more than adults. They are at highest risk for diseases later in life when exposed to toxins. There are many health issues linked to toxic chemicals in the body such as skin allergies, cancer, infertility, birth defects, reproductive problems and learning disabilities.
Here are the list of ingredients to avoid :
- Benzoyl Peroxide – Used in acne products, it is a possible tumor promoter. May act as mutagen; produces DNA damage in human and other mammalian cells. Also, toxic by inhalation. Eye, skin and respiratory tract.
- DEA (Diethanolamine), MEA (Monoethanolamine), & TEA (Triethanolamine) – This foam booster is a skin/eye irritant and causes contact dermatitis. Easily absorbed through skin to accumulate in body organs & the brain.
- Dioxin – Won’t appear in ingredients. Often in antibacterial ingredients like triclosan, emulsifiers, PEGs and ethoxylated cleansers like sodium laureth sulfate. Dioxin causes cancer, reduced immunity, nervous system disorders, miscarriages and birth deformity.
- DMDM Hydantoin & Urea (Imidazolidinyl) – 2 preservatives that release formaldehyde which may cause joint pain, cancer, skin reactions, allergies, depression., headaches, chest pains, ear infections, chronic fatigue, dizziness & insomnia.
- FD&C Color & Pigments – Synthetic colors from coal tar contain heavy metal salts that deposit toxins in skin, causing skin sensitivity/ irritation. Absorption can cause depletion of oxygen and death. Animal studies show almost all are carcinogenic.
- Parabens (Methyl, Butyl, Ethyl, Propyl) – Used as preservatives. Not always labeled. Used in deodorants and other skin care products, have been found in breast cancer tumors. May contribute to sterility in males, hormones imbalance in females & early puberty.
- PEG (Polyethylene glycol) – Made by ethoxylated Propylene Glycol. Dangerous levels of dioxin have been found as a by-product of the ethoxylation process. PEG’s are in everything including personal care, baby care and sunscreens.
- Phthalates – Found in many products, usually not listed on labels. Health effects include damage to liver/kidneys, birth defects, decreased sperm counts and early breast development in girls and boys.
- Propylene Glycol (PG) & Butylene Glycol – Petroleum plastics. EPA considers PG so toxic it requires gloves, clothing, goggles & disposal by burying. EPA warns against skin contact to prevent brain, liver and kidney abnormalities.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) & Sodium Laureth Sulfate – Used in car washes, garage floor cleaners, engine degreasers and 90% of personal care products that foam. Eye damage, depression, labored breathing, diarrhea, skin irritation, & death.
- Sunscreen Chemicals – Avobenzone, benzophenone, ethoxycinnamate, PABA are commonly used ingredients that are known free radical generators and are believed to damage DNA or lead to cancers.
- Triclosan – Synthetic antibacterial ingredient. EPA registers it as a pesticide, posing risks to human health and environment. Classified as a chlorophenol, chemicals suspected of causing cancer in humans.
The secret to gorgeous skin lies in nature. Here, why you should knock out all those chemical-laden cosmetics from your dresser.