Foods That Reduce Cholesterol

The number of hypercholesterolemic people is increasing rapidly in the world. Diet and nutrition are important factors in the promotion and maintenance of health throughout life. According to the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO), several dietary patterns, along with lifestyle habits (exercise, smoking, and alcohol consumption), constitute major modifiable risk factors in relation to the development of non communicable diseases: cardiovascular diseases (CVD), cancer, type 2 diabetes, obesity, osteoporosis and dental diseases.

In this article, cholesterol reducing effects of different categories of food are presented. By adding each of these foods in your diet, you will greatly reduce your cholesterol levels, and give yourself a fighting chance against arteriosclerosis, hypertension, stroke and coronary failure. Here is the list :

• Legumes, Meat Analogues – Legumes, meal analogues and other alternatives to meat, contain no cholesterol or fat that fosters its production in the body. Legumes contain soluble fibre that reduces cholesterol level and prevent arteriosclerosis.
  • Virgin Olive Oil or Seed Oils – Both are more healthful than margarine and reduce cholesterol levels when they replace margarine in the diet.
  • Soy or Almond Milk – These contain no cholesterol, lactose or casein, all of which are detrimental to cardiovascular health. Soymilk also contains cardioprotective isoflavones.
  • Avocado and Tofu – These are an excellent replacement for cheese. They both reduce cholesterol level. Avocado provides antioxidant vitamin E.
  • Whole Grain Baked Foods – Preferably made without hydrogenated vegetable oils, thus eliminating trans fatty acids.
  • Dried Fruit, Honey – These are the most healthful of sweets.

There are other foods as well which you can include in your diet. However the food groups mentioned in the above list are your first priority. I am suggesting these as it is difficult to make sudden food changes. Some less preferred alternatives are :

• Fish or Skinless Poultry – These contain fats that are less prejudicial than those of red meat, although they cannot be said to reduce cholesterol. They are only beneficial when they replace red meat or shellfish.
  • Margarine – When it replaces butter, bacon or animal fat in general, margarine reduces cholesterol. However, it contains trans fatty acids that foster arteriosclerosis.
  • Nonfat Milk – This is preferable to whole milk, but it’s casein content still has a negative effect on cholesterol level.
  • Low -Fat Cottage Cheese – This is preferable to cured cheese, but not as healthful as tofu or avocado.

High level of cholesterol can lead to several diseases like as coronary artery disease, atherosclerosis and heart attack. There are several foods that have been shown to reduce cholesterol level. Cholesterol lowering foods in combination with a healthy lifestyle are the most effective ways of lowering cholesterol level naturally.

Thank you for the reblog.

1. Very helpful. I love my almond milk. I want to try avocados. I do know I eat too much cheese . If I could replace that with avocado would be wonderful .

All cheese has a lot of fat in it. But what’s interesting is that fat actually contains more calories than proteins and carbohydrates, so it just adds up faster. In general, the white cheeses contain less fat than the yellow cheeses. Brie, for instance, contains to 20 fewer calories per ounce than cheddar. Hope this information helps.

1. How about Feta cheese is that a bit better?

Compared to other cheeses, it’s low in calories and fat. It also contains a high amount of B vitamins, phosphorus and calcium, which can benefit bone health. At the end of the day, feta is a delicious and healthy addition to most people’s diets.

3. Okay that is great to hear I have started to eat it . So now I’m replacing the other cheese with feta now . Thank you!

You are most welcome.

Hi Manohar, glad you liked my post. Exercise helps too. Exercise can improve cholesterol. Moderate physical activity can help raise high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, the “good” cholesterol. With your doctor’s OK, work up to at least 30 minutes of exercise five times a week or vigorous aerobic activity for 20 minutes three times a week.

1. Thanks Garima. I resonate with you. I exercise 6 days a week (Gym) with 1hr inclusive of cardio (treadmill/cross trainer/cycling) – 10 – 15 mins , coupled with weight training ( 45 mins odd) . It feels good and lighter with physical activity.

That’s wonderful Manohar. Thank you for stopping by my blog again.

2. fbwami says:

Insightful piece. Goot to know that margarine does not contain cholesterol, I consume alot of it and by the way have any nutritional value?

Margarines are good. But not all margarines are created equal — some margarines contain trans fat. In general, the more solid the margarine, the more trans fat it contains. So stick margarines usually have more trans fat than tub margarines do. Look for a spread that doesn’t have trans fats and has the least amount of saturated fat. When comparing spreads, be sure to read the Nutrition Facts panel and check the grams of saturated fat and trans fat. Limit the amount you use to limit the calories.

1. fbwamidaily says:

Thanks Garima I appreciate the info now I know better.Keep up the good work.

I am glad I could help. Thank you for stopping by.

3. Carol Anne says:

thanks for this article. my own cholesterol is a little on the high side, and I am trying to bring it down, this is helpful info.

I am glad you found my post helpful Carol. According to the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI), unhealthful lifestyle choices are the leading cause of high cholesterol. However, genetics, certain medical conditions, and medications can also contribute to high cholesterol. Having high cholesterol does not cause symptoms, but it can increase the risk of heart disease and stroke. Doctors can prescribe statins to help lower a person’s cholesterol levels, but these medications can cause side effects, such as headaches, muscle cramps, and nausea. That is why I started exploring some natural ways to lower cholesterol without medication.