Emotional Intelligence

Emotional Intelligence/Quotient is “the capacity for recognising our own feelings and those of others, for motivating ourselves, and for managing emotions well in ourselves and in our relationships. Emotional intelligence describes abilities distinct from, but complementary to, academic intelligence.” ~ Daniel Goleman (1998)

Here are four fundamental capabilities of emotional intelligence :

• Self Awareness – Emotional self awareness is the ability to read and understand your emotions as well as recognise their impact on work performance, relationships and the likes. Accurate self assessment is a realistic evaluation of your strengths and limitations. Self confidence is a strong and positive sense of self worth.
  • Self Management – Self control is the ability to keep disruptive emotions and impulses under control. Trustworthiness is a consistent display of honesty and integrity. Conscientiousness is the ability to manage yourself and your responsibilities. Adaptability is the skill to adjust to changing situations and overcoming obstacles. Achievement orientation is the drive to meet and internal standard of excellence.
  • Social Awareness – Empathy is the skill at sensing other people’s emotions, understanding their perspective and taking an active interest in their concerns. Organisational awareness is the ability to read the currents of organisational life, build decision networks and navigate politics. Service orientation is the ability to recognise and meet customers needs.
  • Social Skills – Visionary leadership is the ability to take charge and inspire with a compelling vision. Influence is the ability to wield a range of persuasive tactics. Developing others is the propensity to bolster the abilities of others through feedback and guidance. Communication is the skill at listening and at sending clear, convincing and well tuned messages. Change catalyst is the proficiency in initiating new ideas and leading people in a new direction. Conflict management is the ability to de-escalate disagreements and orchestrate resolutions. Building bonds is the proficiency at cultivating and maintaining a web of relationships. Teamwork and collaborations is the competence at promoting cooperation and building teams.

Emotional intelligence is an emerging construct for applied research and possible interventions, both in scholastic, academic and educational contexts, organisational contexts, as well as at an individual level in terms of people’s well-being and life satisfaction.

I am glad you liked it. As more and more people accept that emotional intelligence is just as important to professional success as technical ability, organizations are increasingly using it when they hire and promote. For example, one large cosmetics company recently revised their hiring process for salespeople to choose candidates based on their emotional intelligence. The result? People hired with the new system have sold, on average, $91,000 more than salespeople selected under the old system. There has also been significantly lower staff turnover among the group chosen for their emotional intelligence.

1. jojsblog says:

I agree. EQ is something that’s always overlooked by companies as well as common people just coz for them it’s not important. Even for the HR or the managers alike , they are not concerned. But, what happens when it’s take into consideration and addressed; well, the results are amazing. I believe there are organization in Europe and alike where they encourage EQ and address it.

Yes it’s very important in organisations. People with high emotional intelligence are usually successful in most things they do. Why? Because they’re the ones that others want on their team. When people with high emotional intelligence send an email, it gets answered. When they need help, they get it. Because they make others feel good, they go through life much more easily than people who are easily angered or upset.

2. mcarten says:

Nice article, not a lot people even think about emotional intelligence. I only briefly looked over EQ in the pass. Your post rekindled my interest in the subject. 🙂

Glad my post reminded you to be kind.

1. hmaxwell217 says:

I like this post. We are in a phase in society where we seem to only want to lash out and be mean. We don’t care about other people’s feelings. We are not aware of our own pain therefore we can only inflict pain on others because of the way we feel

Ah yes Maxwell. We all have different personalities, different wants and needs, and different ways of showing our emotions. Navigating through this all takes tact and cleverness – especially if we hope to succeed in life. This is where emotional intelligence becomes important.

2. inhiscare753 says:

Enjoyed your post. It is definitely on point and insightful. Thanks for always sharing.

I am glad you liked it. I believe EI is am important part of being a better person in life. Individuals with a high EI also tend to be more self-driven and not motivated by money or titles. Their intrinsic motivation is what drives them to get things done, learn new ways to grow and strive always to improve. Self-motivated learners are naturally curious and frequently ask questions. As they search for answers, they pick-up new skills and knowledge that can be applied to their lives.

1. inhiscare753 says:

You are welcome. Thanks for your insightful comment, it is quite interesting.

3. I’ve been aware of this concept for quite a few years now. But I think that until recently it hasn’t received the attention it deserves. Thanks for making more people aware of it.

I like the simplicity of the concept. EI empowers positivity while stopping negativity right in its tracks. Consequently, this encourages you to learn from failure and tackle problems head-on by looking for solutions. Positivity also sparks creativity and encourages open-mindedness. It also helps you focus. When you’re in a better mood you aren’t dwelling on all the negatives. You’re more present and occupied with the current task at hand.

4. mind1976 says:

The power of emotions is in the knowing the self. Learn to understand the triggers that set of certain emotions as well using it in the right way. Being Emphatic is something that is a difficult subject now days but it is going back in the right direction. Feeling, knowing, acting.

I praise posts like these, because it will benefit lots of people.

Namasté

When positive emotions open us up to new possibilities, we are more able to learn and build on our skills. That leads to doing better on tasks and tests. People who have plenty of positive emotions in their everyday lives tend to be happier, healthier, learn better, and get along well with others. Namaste

1. mind1976 says:

Exactly the reason why I started Help-Helping 🙂 to teach and learn from others. Helping others that need a hand or guiding, or just a shoulder or a listening ear. positivity is the right guideline for smiling people that grow. I feel so I live.

Namasté

That is the most beautiful thing you can do for mankind. Thank you for being so kind.

3. mind1976 says:

Thank you for sharing the right posts. 🙏

Thank you for stopping by always and sharing your beautiful and encouraging feedback. You are becoming an inspiration for me:)

5. mind1976 says:

I think 99% of the people that write here get inspiration from one another. 🙂 That is how good vibes grow. Spread the right energy and the rest will follow in its path.
        Like-minded people are my inspiration and seeing humanity transform as a unity.

🤞🏼🤞🏼

5. Syd Weedon says:

We need a lot more emotional intelligence.

Ah we do..yasssss!!

6. Good write up Garima, as always. EQ/EI is often brushed apart as most won’t care about what others feel about something. Especially in every working sector these days.

Yes Manohar, it’s quite unfortunate. According to a study, individuals with high levels of emotional intelligence are more productive and effective in their workplace and everyday life. So, emotional intelligence can improve the performance of each employee and consequently the company as a whole.

1. True that. Western countries top here. Be it in terms of Employee engagement, Perks, Family time, Time off and what not. Unfortunately, in Indian context all these are still in Work In Progress.

Hmm developing country 🙂

3. I’m sure you noticed “Work In Progress” in my text 😉

7. I remember in high-school that on the inside I was total mess. Totally lacking a sense of myself. Easily influenced, too sensitive, offended by everything, insecure… As my self-awareness was growing, I became much more confident in my own skin. Now for sure I can say that emotional intelligence is foundation for everything. I cannot dedicate myself to study mathematics if I dont know who I am on the inside.

great post. like your style of writing. I am wondering what do you think about male and female emotional intelligence? How are men processing emotions and how are women processing them? What is the difference in your opinion?

For me there is not difference. Men can be as vulnerable as women and women can be as resilient as men.

8. gpavants says:

Hi Garima,

I have a friend who teaches this as part of a HR department. Very needful.

Thanks,

Gary

It’s very important Gary. As kids we are taught about self-awareness, self-regulation, self-motivation, social awareness and social skills. These are the competencies that make up Emotional Intelligence (EI). EI is a topic that has just recently begun to develop in the healthcare field. As it has developed, leaders have started to see the importance of having a strong EI. Being able to properly use EI will allow for a competent leader to become a strong leader.

9. Perhaps not directly related to the workforce, I would say the oft-overlooked idea of *spiritual* intelligence supersedes the other two… in the long run, anyhow. 🙂

Long shot indeed.