Here’s the problem we face, every day of our lives. Nearly everything that generates enduring value requires effort, focus, and even some discomfort along the way. At the same time, we’re deeply wired to avoid pain, which the body reads as mortally dangerous, and to move toward pleasure, the more immediate the better.
Here are few ways in which you can take control of your life by being a put together person and make life more seamless and less chaotic.
- Plan – Have a plan for your week and each day. Check your tasks at the beginning of the day so that you can plan your day to be the most productive as possible.
- Routines – Create a routine for the things you do often. Creating routines streamlines daily processes. It cuts down on wasted time and allows for more productivity in your unused time.
- Signature Style – Find a signature style. You will save money not buying things you won’t end up wearing. You will also save time getting dressed everyday because you have an idea of what you’re going for already. People will also begin to recognise is as your style.
- Keep in Contact – Don’t let emails or messages linger, respond as soon as possible. When you make connections reach out to people every so often. It shows a genuine interest and makes people want to to work with you, which is key when networking.
- Nails & Accessories – If I keep my nails painted, a coordinating purse or simple jewellery that goes with everything, my outfits feel more put together. So find your reliable accessories and work them.
- Neat Home – Keeping your space neat and organised automatically makes it easier to put more effort into your day because you have a less cluttered mind and less to worry about.
- Believe It – Don’t think of yourself as a hot mess. Fake it. If you don’t have it all together, pretend like you do. It will become habit and eventually the truth.
Above all else, it’s critical to ground yourself in deeply held values. Knowing what you stand for is a uniquely powerful fuel for behaviour, especially when the going gets tough, and the temptation is to take the easy route. If you’re clear about who you want to be in any given situation, non-negotiably, the songs of the Sirens aren’t so alluring.