Certain foods have a very high thermogenic effect, so you literally scorch calories as you chew. Other eats contain nutrients and compounds that stoke your metabolic fire.
Feed your metabolism with these foods :
- Oats : A great way to fill you up as they’re loaded with soluble fibre, which helps reduce cholesterol and lowers the risk of heart disease. They’re also a very good source of selenium which boosts your energy and immune system by producing antibodies. One of my favourite breakfasts is a nice big bowl of oatmeal in the morning with some blueberries on top.
- Broccoli : Is one of those super foods that you can never really eat enough of. It is literally packed with nutrients including calcium, vitamin A, vitamin C, folic acid, and fibre. The calcium, vitamin C and fibre all contribute to burning fat and increasing your metabolism. On top of that, broccoli is full of antioxidants that provide a multitude of health benefits including decreasing the risk of heart disease and certain cancers.
- Edamame : These are one of all time favorite fat burning food. They are essentially soy beans which have been lightly boiled and salted. Originally from Japan, edamame are an excellent source of protein, vitamin C, iron, and calcium. They also contain 0g of saturated fats so eat them guilt free.
- Spinach : It is loaded with vitamins and nutrients yet is a mere 8 calories per serving. A single serving of spinach contains over 60% of your daily value requirement for vitamin A and a whooping 200% of required Vitamin K. Spinach is also full of antioxidants that reduces the risk of heart disease, stroke, and a number of cancers.
- Green Tea : This a great fat burning beverage due mainly to the EGCG contained within it which stimulates your brain and nervous system resulting in higher caloric burn. Green tea also has powerful antioxidants and studies have shown it to even reduce the risk of some cancers.
- Skim Milk : It contains larger amounts of calcium, helping to increase your metabolism and burn calories. There have been many studies which show that those who drink moderate amounts of milk or low-fay dairy products daily, have less body fat ratios than those who don’t. Skim milk is best but if you find it too watery, 1% milk is a good alternative.
- Chilli Peppers : They are low in saturated fat and contain an element called capsaicin which has a thermic effect on your body and revs up your metabolism. They are a natural anti-inflammatory and are also a great source of vitamin C, B6, potassium and vitamin A accounting for over 150% of your required daily value per serving.
Food has much more power than we give it credit for; some foods sabotage sleep, other foods help our bodies fight cancer. Do you have any nutrition secrets to share? Do tell.