Boost Your Creativity

However creative you may be, there will be times when you feel a dearth of creativity. Perhaps you need to motivate yourself, or you’ve been working too hard, and feel “tapped out.”

It would be a good idea to take a break before attempting work again, but the following techniques may also help give you that added boost of creative power :

• Think Differently. Always ask: What if?
  • Take Time Out. Don’t work under pressure.
  • Get Experience. Travel to new places.
  • Control Your Emotions. Divert negative thoughts.
  • Study the Greats. Know your creative heroes.
  • Take a Step Back. Consider another perspective.
  • Aim for Diversity. Surround yourself with different viewpoints.
  • Stop Waiting for a Eureka Moment. And start working hard.
  • Stop Brainstorming. Write first, discuss later.
  • Take More Risks. Break the rules.
  • Do More Exercise. And start working hard.
  • Welcome Criticism. Apply it constructively.
  • Wake Up Earlier. Do meaningful work in the morning.
  • Set Goals. Creativity thrives with ambition.
  • Create a Routine. Focus on important decisions.
  • Don’t Give Up. Good ideas take time.
  • Follow Your Dreams. Work with passion.
  • Practice Meditation. Clear your mind.
  • Don’t Make Excuses. Creativity can be learned.

Any idea, no matter how world-changing, can die in committee or, worse still, after implementation, without attention to all four steps of the creative process. Paying attention to targeting the right issues, developing solutions thoughtfully, and then implementing them with both sensitivity and determination will help you turn that creative spark into a true breakthrough innovation. Knowing the process is like having a good map, now it’s up to you to drive innovation home.

I am glad you liked it Cynthia. Creativity is immensely important in our everyday life. Researchers have found that creativity and the willingness to entertain novel ideas, is emerging as a lifelong protective factor – it decreases negative emotions, reduces stress and anxiety.

1. cynthiahm says:

Creativity is something I try to nurture in the children I teach. It is good to know the benefits. Thank you!

Most welcome Cynthia.

1. judeitakali says:

thank you for this garima, im glad i read this just now

Glad you like it Jude. Being creative helps you become a better problem solver in all areas of your life and work. … Creativity helps you see things differently and better deal with uncertainty. Studies show that creative people are better able to live with uncertainty because they can adapt their thinking to allow for the flow of the unknown.

1. judeitakali says:

Makes tons of sense♥

We are all naturally creative and, like every other skill, some people have more natural talent than others. However, everyone can increase his or her creativity, just as everyone can increase his or her musical or athletic ability, with appropriate training and focused practice. And these skills can be learned.

Glad you agree.

2. gpavants says:

Hi Garima,

I am not sure if you are a creative or not. I never asked. I am. Your information is so important to folks who have that kind of mind. Let me share something fun with you. This is one episode we did about taking care of the brain. Hope you like our fun take in it.

Thanks,

Gary

Thank you for sharing this Gary.

1. gpavants says:

You bet. That’s my band of crazy creatives and what we learn from fandom.

3. I have always been a creative person with a wild imagination. When I was younger, I was a storyteller- now that evolved into writing a book myself- it is at its 4th draft now. I was not only a creative person, but hardworking and determined

Hi, it’s always glad to meet a creative person. Creativity is the ability to produce new and at times unique ideas, and innovation is the implementation of that creativity, whether that be a new idea, solution, process, or product. Creativity is the driving force behind innovation and looking at things from a different perspective.

1. Being a massive fan of musicals- I spend time in the audience- I love seeing the combo of things come to life. Using my imagination and seeing different arts come together is always an amazing thing to witness each time I am at the theatre.

My book- hoping to make more progress this year and draft four is the hardest so far

And you will complete your draft. Looking forward to your book.

4. That is one great list.

I try to be always open and ready for whatever the “universe” drops in my lap in terms of creative ideas. I always ask questions and often try to see something that that may make a great post, by seeing it from a different perspective. Something that people may not have though about before, even if it ends up having a bit of an edge to it.

Thanks Glen. Always create with no expectations as to the outcome. By just creating a passion, the final result will be something spectacular.

1. Yes. Passion ans spectacular go well in the same sentence.

5. Amazing! Will try to apply everything in my life and make my life even more amazing. Thank you so much for this

Start with small easy ones. That is what I would do:)

6. BellaDour says:

This was helpful. I always have so many ideas running through my head. It’s difficult to dedicate time to lay it all out. But I’m focused on conducting more productive/meaningful mornings by waking up earlier.

Way to go Bella.

7. sumay says:

Your post is very informative but still I didn’t understand who are not creative ? Just for instance , we all have seen the latest ad of 5 star which states , even doing nothing prove handy and they are helpful for it . What say !!

So here is my definition of creativity. Creativity is the act of turning new and imaginative ideas into reality. Creativity is characterised by the ability to perceive the world in new ways, to find hidden patterns, to make connections between seemingly unrelated phenomena, and to generate solutions.