Know Your Drunks

Intoxication can have a number of effects on a person, particularly on the brain, as it is very sensitive to alcohol. Treatment for alcoholism is sometimes necessary for people addicted to this substance. Alcohol has nearly immediate effects on the body. The reason for this is that it requires no digestion, unlike other foods. The higher the blood alcohol content is in the body, the greater the effects of alcohol.

Here are varying degrees of intoxication. We calculate the amount of intoxication by BAC – Blood Alcohol Concentration. Blood alcohol content (BAC) is the amount of alcohol in the bloodstream. If someone were to have a BAC of .10, this would mean that one-tenth of 1% of the blood in their body is alcohol. The more alcohol a person consumes the more intoxicated and impaired they become. Over time, if alcohol use is frequent, addiction can result. In these cases, alcohol treatment rehab is often needed. So here are your types of drunks :

• Euphoria (BAC : 0.03-0.12) – People become more self confident or daring. Their attention span shortens. They may look flushed. Their judgement is not as good, they may say the first thought that comes to mind, rather than an appropriate comment for the given situation. They have trouble with fine movements.
  • Excitement (BAC 0.09-0.25) – People become sleepy. They have trouble understanding or remembering things (even recent events). They do not react to situations as quickly (if they spill a drink they may just stare at it). Their body movements are uncoordinated. They begin to lose their balance easily. Their vision becomes blurry. They may have trouble sensing things (hearing, tasting, feeling etc).
  • Confusion (BAC 0.18-0.30) – People are confused. They might not know where they are or what they are doing. They are dizzy and may stagger. They may be highly emotional, aggressive, withdrawn or overly affectionate. They cannot see clearly. They are sleepy. They have slurred speech. They have uncoordinated movements (trouble catching an object thrown at them). They may not feel pain as readily as a sober person.
  • Stupor (BAC 0.25-0.40) – They can barely move at all. They cannot respond stimuli. They cannot stand or walk. They may vomit. They may lapse in and out of consciousness.
  • Coma (BAC 0.35-0.5) – They are unconscious. Their reflexes are depressed (i.e their pupils do not respond appropriately to changes in light). They feel cool (lower than normal body temperature). Their breathing is slower and shallower. Their heart rate may slow.
  • Death (BAC more than 0.50) – The person usually stops breathing and dies.

Getting professional medical help is necessary in situations of extreme alcohol intoxication. That’s because paramedics, physicians, and other medical staff can administer certain treatments to help mitigate the effects of intoxication.

1. Syd Weedon says:

You left out several stages: there is the “fighting drunk,” the “crying drunk,” the “boring the bartender to tears drunk” and finally the all important “let’s see if we can outrun the police drunk.” 😉

Hahahaha yes thank you for adding 🤣🤣🤣

2. hmaxwell217 says:

Ok so obviously this is something you read yet not experienced. As a person that lived with a drunk I can tell you many drunks do not get sleepy. No they stay up and get aggressive and remembers everything when they need to. They are extremely aggressive and thus will us this time to remember everything you ever did bad to them in their life. Therefore they can later claim to have been so drunk they don’t remember being aggressive. Because they know people believe that drunks fall asleep and forget everything. Well they don’t. That’s just my experience. Otherwise ummm okay on that article

3. Omatra7 says:

My ex is a supposably a “recovering” alcoholic…

He was angry and violent when drinking.

He would drink and then be aggressive. But he was one of those “functioning” alcoholics ?

I never had any experience with alcohol before him… so I didn’t know… he drank all the time and I didn’t know.

He would hide it. He would come home and be angry and aggressive and then afterwards pass out on the couch in a stupor.

But I guess depends on the person – he was using alcohol to self medicate himself from life? Instead of dealing with it … which in turn, I think caused the aggression?

I stay far away from alcohol – it can destroy lives – I feel like sometimes here in the United States – drinking is sometimes glorified? People don’t realize what alcohol can do.

A drink with friends or something is fine – just be aware. And it shouldn’t be glorified. It is dangerous. Be cautious. ✌️

Thank you for sharing your experience.

4. Good read and info.

Glad you liked it.

5. Omatra7 says:

My ex was a drinker… supposably a “recovering” alcoholic

He would use alcohol to self medicate from life – he had childhood trauma and then life.

He was always aggressive and angry.

He was kind of a “functioning” alcoholic… I didn’t know… I had no experience with alcohol until that. I had no idea he drank all the time – I didn’t know the signs and he blinded me with rage?

So he would drink, be mean and aggressive, then at night pass out on the couch in a stupor.

I didn’t know, I had never been exposed to alcohol like that before.

Here in the United States – sometimes I feel like drinking is glorified as a way to release or have a good time…

People don’t realize how dangerous alcohol can be… it can destroy lives and families.

A drink with a friend or friends once in a blue moon, I guess is ok… but alcohol is dangerous… be aware and definitely be cautious.

Good article to draw attention to the issue, that’s important – thank you … but not everyone reacts the same to alcohol.

6. Gulla says:

The intoxication is first used as a hobby then it becomes a habit and then the habit becomes firm. Don’t make your habit your weaknesses.

7. Jecture says:

There is also the fighting the bartender while drunk phase too which I seem to have had the privilege to encounter a time or two LoL

1. Jecture says:

I actually have 5 recorded needing to defend myself while mixing drinks lol on camera