How? You may ask. It’s simple, LISTEN.
Good listening can help tame your fear about relationships, meeting new people, lessen social anxiety, and boost your overall confidence. This is will help you not only meet new potential friends, but also depend all of your current relationships.
So here goes few listening techniques which you might want to incorporate into your lives unless you are happy alone :
- Listen to Listen, not to Reply – Often we think about what we’re going to say next instead of really listening to the person we’re talking with. Give them your attention, and trust you brain to come up with a response when it’s time.
- Pause before Responding – Giving a 2-3 second pause before responding allows someone the space to continue speaking and share what they really want to share.
- Remember Individuality – We are all different people. When we enter a conversation knowing this, misunderstandings will happen much less often. We’ll learn to understand, rather than to judge.
- Understand their Emotions – Empathy is a great way of doing this, but it’s not the only way. Try to increase your emotional intelligence.
- Confused? Speak Up – None of us are perfect. If you’re confused, that’s okay. Just politely ask the person to repeat what they said.
- Paraphrase – Paraphrasing is something I often use in coaching, but it works wonders in everyday relationships too.
- Don’t give Advice – Unless they ask you, do not give advice. Unsolicited advice is a huge turn off. Sometimes we just need someone to talk to.
Listening is an art, it is a good virtue to have.