Personal impact is about being listened to, respected and remembered. High impact people have presence. We always think of them as successful people who seem to know what they want in any given situation and seem to be at ease all the time.
One of the principles of personal impact is to stand out from the competition in a good way. It is about being taken seriously, leaving a positive impression and making people want to have you around and interact with you more. Here are some ways in which you can work on your personal image to make a powerful personal impact :
- Take the Initiative – Stamp your mark. Have at the self confidence to introduce yourself to people before they make the first move.
- Expression – Consciously smile. Thus will create a warmth about you and people will want to talk to you. Positivity is contagious.
- Names – Remember people names and use their name during the conversation to show you are listening, interested and aware.
- Voice – Don’t speak too quietly. Use intonation and variety in your voice. Communicate dynamism by speaking with energy.
- Eyes – Maintain direct eye contact while the person is talking to you. This communicates interest and confidence.
- Stance – Walk into the room with your shoulders back and chin up. Stand tall. Walk calmly and slowly. Be proud.
- Get Involved – Force yourself to mix with people although it may be against your nature. Psyche up beforehand is necessary.
- Hands – Don’t be afraid to use your hands to reinforce your points. Hand movements inject energy into your manner.
If you want to improve your personal impact find someone you believe has it, watch what they do and then adapt their behaviours to your style. There’s nothing magic about it! It’s all about behaviours and anyone can learn and apply them. The secret is to identify the behaviours that work and then to make them your own so you continue to be authentic.