Let’s face it. We are creatures of habit and often find ourselves getting quite comfortable in our daily routines. While the security of the predictable can be quite soothing, more often than not we are actually in a rut.
The hardest part in letting go of the proverbial “safety blanket” is to first recognize it as an obstacle to growth and development. No matter how big or small the change, the only thing that matters is that you have to take action and start somewhere. Here are a few steps which can help :
- Get Information – Information is power. And the more you know about something, the less scary and more powerful you’ll feel.
- Have a Plan – Write down a step-by-step blueprint for how you’re going to break through your comfort zone. You start with the easiest thing to do. Then you create a plan to get to each level.
- Hold Yourself Accountable – You want to tell your friend and family about what you’re trying to do. Or you can even find an accountability partner or form a mastermind group.
- Take Baby Steps – Taking “baby steps” is a great way to de-sensitize yourself to the feelings of anxiety. You’re steadily pushing the boundaries of your comfort levels and working towards an overall goal.
- Aggressive Challenges – This is a rapid fire approach where do a lot of something that makes you scared. The idea here is you’re shocking the system into becoming comfortable.
- Remain Positive – Do not let anything prevent you from blasting past the point of comfort. Recognise that you will have negative outcomes. it’s a natural part of the process.
- Keep Expanding Your Comfort Zone – Look for new challenges. Find stuff that you would never imagined you would do.
You can do it. Take that first leap from your comfort zone and who knows how far you can go. Who knows if you’ll ever even come back?