Acceptance and Commitment Therapy

Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) is a unique empirically-based psychological intervention that uses acceptance and mindfulness processes, and commitment and behaviour change processes to produce psychological flexibility.  In simple terms, it is about initially accepting that pain and suffering are normal and that deliberately trying to get rid of them will add to the distress.

This therapy is not a quick fix for mental illness but it is about coping with the distress while living a more fulfilling life. They liken a mental illness to fighting a way, the theory suggests that if you remove yourself from the war and watch it, rather than taking part in it, you can start living your life (and the war may also subside). Here are a few important concepts which one should be aware of for starters.

• Mindfulness – A way of being present moment, seeing our thoughts for what they are, without judgement. This enables us to look at our pain from a different perspective.
  • Acceptance – A way of accepting that pain is part of the life, not in a self defeating or having to put up with it way, but in an active way that’s about embracing the moment. Also accepting that we are unlikely to be able to solve our problems in the way we’ve been doing so far (by avoiding or fighting).
  • Commitment – Values based living, thinking about the dreams we have and what we value most in the world, also looking at what traps and barriers we put up in a form of self sabotage.
  • Committed Action – At this last principle the persons sets goals and takes action, but not just any action. Here the person understands that the rich and meaningful life they desire is created by taking effective action, which is that guided by the chosen value.

Read more on yourwillbearwitness.com

1. Aa'eedah says:

Thank you for sharing this, Garima 🙇 I really need to imbibe these four concepts.

Glad you found it helpful. Thank you for stopping by.

2. PaperKutzs says:

I’m not sure that I’ve missed any angles to look at my pain from. I can tell you the pain is always painful. Only those w/ no pain could find it willed away so easy. Because I love paying all these doctors and for all the meds and I love taking all the meds.

Sorry if I sound cynical & maybe even a little bitter

I am afraid I don’t have any wise words for you, no tips, no tricks, no strategies, nothing motivational or inspirational. I am not even going to try and ‘make you feel better’ because I believe in this instance even to try would be an insult to the magnitude of suffering you are experiencing. What I can say is this: I too have felt such pain, I have been lost where you are now lost, I have felt that searing, branding, shattering torment on my own skin, I have felt my soul shattered and gathered up the pieces so many times, working, praying, striving to build a person from ashes and scars and to move forward because breaking down was a luxury I couldn’t afford.I have done this, until finally there was nothing left to hold on to and I have sat in that pain. As much as it hurts you are not alone in it.

3. gpavants says:

Hi Garima,

The mental mindfield has always interested me. Going in knowing so many battles are won or lost in the mind is something for everyone to consider. It’s a fight fighting with good tools like you mentioned.

Gary

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 11:42 AM Be Inspired..!! wrote:

> Garima posted: ” Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) is a unique > empirically-based psychological intervention that uses acceptance and > mindfulness processes, and commitment and behaviour change processes to > produce psychological flexibility. In simple terms, it is a” >

Yes Gary. Tools are very important. Studies suggest that art therapy can be very valuable in treating issues such as depression, anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder and even some phobias. It is a great way to express your emotions without words, process complex feelings and find relief.

1. gpavants says:

People are layered: physical, emotional, mental, spiritual, social and managing all of them wisely makes real health.

Well said Gary.