Neuro-Linguistic Programming, or NLP, provides practical ways in which you can change the way that you think, view past events, and approach your life. Neuro-Linguistic Programming shows you how to take control of your mind, and therefore your life.
Lets break down the word :
- Neuro – To do with the brain and the there neurological systems in the body. It is about how you process information and experience the world.
- Linguistic – Language. But NLP is not just about language, it is also about processing information, by using our five senses, gut instinct and intuition.
- Programming – NLP won’t “programme” you, don’t worry. It gives you tools to replace negative behaviours with something that’s more in line with who you are.
Where & How did it Originate?
- NLP formally began in California in the 1970’s and was founded by Richard Bandler and John Grinder.
- Bandler was interested in why some therapists were more effective than others, and transcribed sessions conducted by two leading therapists in his search for clues as to what made them so successful.
- Grinder helped Bandler analyse these transcripts by using his expertise in linguistics. Between them, they spotted a specific set of patterns, and as a result NLP as we now know was born.
How can NLP help?
- It can help in resolving anxiety and negative feelings.
- It can help in overcoming phobias.
- It can improve your skills in public speaking and presentations.
- It can help in conflict resolution.
- It can help in changing health damaging habits and behaviours.
- It can help in developing management and leadership skills.
- It can help in learning rapid stress releasing techniques.
- It can help in listening effectively.
- It can help in building, maintaining and motivating teams.
- It can help in creating long lasting relationships.
- It can help in setting and meeting performance goals.
- It can help in identifying people’s natural learning style.