Everybody want to be successful and achieve his or her goals but what is the big secret to realize these? In 1908 Napoleon Hill conducted an interview with Andrew Carnegie, who challenged him to do research on this topic. Andrew Carnegie was at that time one of the most powerful men in the world business wise.
Napoleon Hill did on this topic his whole life research by interviewing numerous of successful people and focus on the elements of personal achievement and success. Here are the principles :
- Definiteness of purpose – Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. Successful people move on their own initiative, but they know where are going before they start.
- Creative vision – Creative vision belongs only to those who go the extra mile, for it recognises no such thing as the regularity of working hours, is not concerned with monetary compensation, and its highest aim is to be the impossible.
- Learning from adversity & defeat – Every adversity you meet carries with it a seed of equivalent or greater benefit. If you can look at problem as temporary setbacks and stepping stone to success, you will come to believe that the only limitations you have are the ones in our own mind.
- Mastermind alliance – The mastermind principle consists of an alliance of two or more minds working in perfect harmony for the attainment of a common definite objective.
- Accurate thinking – Accurate thought involves two fundamentals. First, you must separate facts from mere information. Second, you must separate facts into two classes, the important and the unimportant. Only by doing so can you think clearly and accurately.
- Pleasing personality – A pleasing personality is the aggregate of all the agreeable, gratifying, and likeable qualities of any one individual.
- Applied faith – Faith is a state of mind which may develop by conditioning your mind to receive infinite intelligence. Applied faith is the adaptation of the power received from infinite intelligence to a definite major purpose.
- Enthusiasm – Enthusiasm is a state of mind. It inspires action and is the most contagious of all emotions.
- Going the extra mile – Render more and better service than that for which you are paid, and sooner or later you will receive compound interest on compound interest from your investment.
- Personal initiative – Personal initiative bears the same relationship to an individual that a starter bears to an automobile. It is the power that initiates all action. It is the power that assures completion of anything one begins.
- Maintenance of sound healing – Follow work with play, mental effort with physical, eating with fasting, seriousness with humour, and you will be on the road to sound healing and happiness.
- Positive mental attitude – Your mental attitude is the medium by which you can balance your life and your relationship to people and circumstances to attract what you desire.
- Controlled attention – Controlled attention is the act of coordinating all the faculties of the mind a directing their combined power to a given end. It is an act which can be achieved only by the strictest sort of self discipline.
- Budgeting time & money – Effectiveness in human endeavour calls for the organised budgeting of time. For the average person, the 24 hours of each day should be divided into 8 hours for sleep, 8 hours for work, and 8 hours of recreation and spare time.
- Self Discipline – Self discipline, or self control, means taking possession of your own mind. Direct your thoughts, control your emotions, and ordain your destiny.
- Teamwork – Teamwork is the willing cooperation and coordination of effort to achieve a common goal. Teamwork is sharing a part of what you have, a path that is good with others.
- Cosmic Habit force – The orderliness of the world of natural laws given evidence that they are under the control of a universal plan.
Reference : Hill, N. (2008, 1928). The law of success. Penguin.