Sometimes, when we feel like we should be switched off and relaxed, we can feel stressed, and anxious about the very fact that we are not feeling relaxed or “switched off”. It is important to allow our minds to transition from the pace and mental load of school to the relaxation and alter pace of the weekend or holiday.
The way we deal with the transition is unique to each to us but it may include :
- Using strategies to switch off.
- Using strategies to keep your mind busy with other thoughts.
- Completing some work tasks but in a more relaxed mode or at a more relaxed pace.
- Mapping out when you will complete work tasks, so you can let go of the mental load of trying to remember these. Completing some work might actually be beneficial in helping you to completely switch off and relax.
Strategies to Switch off & Relax
- Exercising – Exercise is known to relieve stress, boost your mood and help you sleep better. This will assist you in switching off and relaxing.
- Breathing techniques – Breathing techniques slow down your heart rate and relax your muscles to help you switch off and relax.
- Offloading – By sharing your experiences (good and bad) with other people, you can offload these thoughts, this means they no longer have to be carried by your mind. This allows you to switch off and relax.
- Mindfulness – Mindfulness activities allow you to pay attention to the present moment and accept you own thoughts and feelings. This helps you to recognise your needs and look after yourself better.
- Yoga – Yoga is linked to lower levels of stress, depression and anxiety, it increases feelings of wellbeing and happiness.
Reference : http://www.twinkle.co.in