Mustard seeds have been part of human civilization for hundreds of years. The Bible mentions mustard seeds, as do ancient Sanskrit texts. The ancient Greeks used them for cooking, as did the ancient Romans, who appear to have invented an early form of the condiment used today. The ancient Greek physician, Hippocrates, used them medicinally.
The traditional system of healing in India, Ayurveda, continues to use mustard seeds for their healing properties. The Ayurvedic system prescribes medicines as a means of balancing the three doshas, or types, recommends mustard seeds as a means of increasing pitta (fire) while minimizing vata (air) and kapha (earth and water). All three varieties of mustard have medicinal value, but stronger healing properties correlate to more pungency in taste
Here are some health benefits of Mustard seeds :
- For Cancer – Mustard is rich in omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids and alpha – linolenic acid that inhibits the growth and spread of tutors and increase the probability of survival of patients afflicted with cancer.
- For Cardiovascular System – Mustard oil is magnesium that is highly effective in the prevention of deposition of cholesterol in blood vessels. Regular use of mustard oil helps to lower cholesterol naturally and prevent cardiac disorders.
- Strong Teeth & Bones – Mustard contains calcium, phosphorus, manganese, and magnesium in sufficient quantities which make it highly beneficial and nutritious for the development of strong bones and firmly rooted teeth.
- Benefits for Hair – Highly anti-inflammatory in nature which protects the hair and scalp from the disease Cicatricial alopecia which is a condition of permanent loss of hair in which the hair roots and follicles get several and irreparably damaged thus preventing the growth of new and healthy hair.
- For Skin – Mustard oil is rich in healthy fatty acids, and Vitamin A and C that help to keep the skin supple and moisturised and prevent the occurrence of dry skin or eczema.
- Weight Loss – Mustard oil aids in the shedding of excess body weight by acceleration the process of body metabolism, reductions of intestinal inflammation and suppressing the appetite.