Health Benefits of Mustard Seeds

Mustard seeds have been part of human civilization for hundreds of years. The Bible mentions mustard seeds, as do ancient Sanskrit texts. The ancient Greeks used them for cooking, as did the ancient Romans, who appear to have invented an early form of the condiment used today. The ancient Greek physician, Hippocrates, used them medicinally.

The traditional system of healing in India, Ayurveda, continues to use mustard seeds for their healing properties. The Ayurvedic system prescribes medicines as a means of balancing the three doshas, or types, recommends mustard seeds as a means of increasing pitta (fire) while minimizing vata (air) and kapha (earth and water). All three varieties of mustard have medicinal value, but stronger healing properties correlate to more pungency in taste

Here are some health benefits of Mustard seeds :

• For Cancer – Mustard is rich in omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids and alpha – linolenic acid that inhibits the growth and spread of tutors and increase the probability of survival of patients afflicted with cancer.
  • For Cardiovascular System – Mustard oil is magnesium that is highly effective in the prevention of deposition of cholesterol in blood vessels. Regular use of mustard oil helps to lower cholesterol naturally and prevent cardiac disorders.
  • Strong Teeth & Bones – Mustard contains calcium, phosphorus, manganese, and magnesium in sufficient quantities which make it highly beneficial and nutritious for the development of strong bones and firmly rooted teeth.
  • Benefits for Hair – Highly anti-inflammatory in nature which protects the hair and scalp from the disease Cicatricial alopecia which is a condition of permanent loss of hair in which the hair roots and follicles get several and irreparably damaged thus preventing the growth of new and healthy hair.
  • For Skin – Mustard oil is rich in healthy fatty acids, and Vitamin A and C that help to keep the skin supple and moisturised and prevent the occurrence of dry skin or eczema.
  • Weight Loss – Mustard oil aids in the shedding of excess body weight by acceleration the process of body metabolism, reductions of intestinal inflammation and suppressing the appetite.

Reference : https://howtocure.com/?s=6+health+benefits+of+mustard

1. I’d love to find some recipes with mustard seeds in it.

Yes that would be fun and nutritious.

2. joliesattic says:

Good to know. I’ll have to harvest the tons of mustard seeds that will eventually come from the plants I saw on our walk the other day. Do wild mustard seeds count?

Yes they do 🙂

3. I like the Bible’s reference to mustard grains. I’ll read up on this subject. I’ve read Ayurveda and the Mind/the Healing of Consciousness. I love cultural diversity. I’ll research the subject of mustard seed recipes.
    Thank you.

I am glad you liked the post. Mustard seeds are rich in a nutrient called selenium, known for its high anti-inflammatory effects. The high source of magnesium in mustard seeds helps reducing the severity of asthma attacks and certain symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis and lowering blood pressure.

4. clcouch123 says:

I’m guessing the mustard I put in sandwiches might not count so much. I’ve enjoyed food (that someone else has prepared) that has had mustard seeds in it. But I simply like it (like them)–I had no idea about all the benefits!

You are try them now, the seeds.