Detoxing from sugar altogether may seem like a radical step but it’s easy to understand why, for some people, just cutting down on sugar isn’t enough. One of the major negative consequences of sugar consumption is weight gain, but in addition to this, sugar is linked to mood swings and is highly addictive. Unfortunately, more and more each day, you see that sugar is everywhere and not going away anytime soon.
The good news is, the longer you have sugar out of your system the less you will crave it. A detox doesn’t need to mean a permanent change in diet but rather a re-setting of the way your body gets energy and a re-setting of the way it asks for this energy. You’ll begin to feel far more energetic as you won’t be subjected to the energy highs and lows that sugar produces.
Let’s break it down further so you know exactly what you should and should not be eating to eliminate sugar from your diet.
Foods to Eat
- Whole Grains – Brown rice, quinoa, millet, barley, amaranth, buckwheat, einkorn wheat, farro, oats, sorghum, spelt, teff, wild rice.
- All Meat – Chicken, turkey, beef, lamb, bison.
- All Seafood – Salmon, Arctic char, catfish, tilapia, mackerel, sardines, sea bass, shrimp, trout, baaramundi, crab.
- All Vegetables – Kale, Swiss chard, spinach, lettuce, leeks, avocados, winter squashes, sweet potatoes, beets, cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels, sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celeriac, celery, fennel, parsnips, raddicio, radishes, turnips.
- Low Glycemic Fruits – Blueberries, raspberries, peach, kiwi, grapefruit, honey dew, coconut, apple, lime, apricot, pear, plum, nectarines, oranges, strawberries, cantaloupe.
- All Nuts & Seeds – Almonds, cashews, peanuts, sesame, pumpkin, Brazil, macadamia.
- Legumes & Beans – Red lentils, green lentils, black lentils, chickpeas, kidney beans, navy beans, mung beans, black beans.
- All Spices – Ginger, turmeric, curry, paprika, cumin and especially cinnamon and vanilla.
- Beverages – Tea, water, unsweetened almond/nuts milks.
- Condiments – Apple cider vinegar, red wine vinegar, oils such as olive, coconut, sesame, cacao of 85-100% are acceptable.
- Eggs & Butter
Foods to Avoid
- Sugar – Raw sugar, brown sugar, white sugar, palm sugar, date sugar, turbinado sugar, coconut sugar, confectioner’s sugar, agave sugar, maple syrup, corn syrup, maple crystals, honey.
- Refined Flours – White bread, pretzels, bagels, cookies, cakes, brownies.
- Condiments – Check sauces, balsamic vinegar, marinades and dressings for added sugar.
- Dried Fruit
- Beverages – Alcohol, juice, soda, sweetened tea beverages.
- Artificial sweeteners – Aspartame, neotame, saccharine, sucralose, potassium.
- Banana – One per day is acceptable.
- High Glycemic Fruits – Mangoes, grapes, cherries, prunes, bananas, pineapple, watermelon
- Yogurt, Cheese & Milk