Ear infections can occur at any stage of life. Ear infections are characterised by painful inflammation, loss of hearing and occasionally sore throats. Ear drops, antibiotics and ear tubes are commonly prescribed treatments for ear infections, but these can be problematic. In addition to wiping out all good bacteria, which can help keep the body healthy, antibiotics are not always useful at treating ear infections.
Looking for some natural remedies to ease the pain and help sleep better at night? Get gentle, fast relief with our roundup of the best home remedies for ear infections.
- Warm Olive Oil – Put olive oil in a pan. Warm it slightly. Using a medicine dropper, pour a few drops into the ear. Repeat remedy once a day for one to two weeks.
- Garlic Juice – Crush garlic cloves to extract juice. Mix garlic juice and olive oil. Use a medicine dropper to put a few drops of the mixture into the infected ear. Do this procedure once a day until infection clears.
- Essential Oils – Combine olive oil with chamomile and lavender oils. Apply mixture on the infected ear using a cotton ball. Use this remedy twice a day for up to two weeks.
- Basil – Crush basil leaves and extract the juice. Mix basil juice and olive oil. Soak a cotton ball into the mixture. Insert cotton ball into the ear. Repeat procedure twice a day for one week.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Combine the two ingredients. Fill the ear with the mixture with a dropper. Leave it on for 5 minutes. Tilt your head to drain the ear. Follow this technique twice a day for one week.
- Warm Compress – Press gently a bottle of warm water against the infected ear. You can also use a heating pad if you don’t have a bottle of warm water. Do this for five to six minutes. Reapply three to four times. Soak a cotton ball in olive oil. Insert cotton ball into the ear canal. Do this procedure twice a day until infection appears.
- Onion Juice – Mix onion juice and olive oil. Using a medicine dropper, pour a few drops of the mixture into the ear. Let it sit for 10 minutes. Remove the mixture using a towel. Do this daily for one to two weeks.
The right treatment for any kind of ear infection can be suggested only by an ENT specialist. Ear infections can easily travel to the nose and the brain. You can use the home remedies but if the pain does not subside or worsens, please visit an ear specialist immediately.