Health Benefits of Turmeric

Turmeric, a yellow pigment present in the Indian spice turmeric (associated with curry powder), has been linked with suppression of inflammation; angiogenesis; tumorigenesis; diabetes; diseases of the cardiovascular, pulmonary, and neurological systems, of skin, and of
liver; loss of bone and muscle; depression; chronic fatigue; and neuropathic pain.

Here are some of the incredible health benefits of turmeric :

• Boosts Cognitive Function : It protects brain cells by binding to and dissolving abnormal proteins.
  • Supports Joint & Muscle Health : It promotes a healthy inflammatory response and eases aches and pain.
  • Fights Body-Wide Inflammation : It has been proven to significantly lower levels of inflammatory markers.
  • Boosts Detoxification : It optimizes function of the liver, the body’s primary organ of detoxification.
  • Supports Cardiovascular Function : It supports heart health by promoting a healthy inflammatory response.
  • Promotes Healthy Mood Balance : It has been shown to be an extremely effective natural mood enhancer.
  • Promotes Youthful Radiant Skin : It promotes soft, smooth, glowing skin and fights fine lines and wrinkles.
  • Supports Natural Weight Loss : It can enhance weight loss when combined with healthy diet and exercise.

Curcumin has received worldwide attention for its multiple health benefits, which appear to act primarily through its anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory mechanisms. These benefits are best achieved when curcumin is combined with agents such as piperine, which increase its bioavailability significantly. A relatively low dose can provide health benefits for people that do not have diagnosed health conditions. Start using turmeric more in your food today.

1. A very well written article. The benefits of Turmeric are well brought out

Thank you. Glad you liked my article.!

1. Ameena k.g says:

So true! Turmeric is a beneficial ingredient

1. PB says:

I am glad you liked the post. Turmeric and especially its most active compound curcumin have many scientifically-proven health benefits, such as the potential to prevent heart disease, Alzheimer’s and cancer. It’s a potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant and may also help improve symptoms of depression and arthritis.

2. My favourite.
    This and cumin.

1. PB says:

They are most basic herbs available. Take care 🙂

3. RM Weldon says:

It makes a huge difference. I add it to my smoothie every morning and use it in cooking. My husband and I noticed a difference in 2 days. Highly recommended. Thank you for sharing.

1. PB says:

You are most welcome. These are nature’s gift to us.

2. mom2times says:

How much do you use when you add it to the smoothie and for cooking? Thanks

1. RM Weldon says:

It varies, most of the time a teaspoon – it depends on what else I am blending with it.

4. RM Weldon says:

Indeed, Mother Earth was designed by the Great Spirit of all that exists to provide what we need for nourishment, sustenance, and healing.

1. PB says:

Exactly. Everything is present on this earth, nothing is required artificially. We just need to look and apply.

5. Julpha Jean says:

Turmeric is my favorite 😉

1. PB says:

Isn’t it wonderful:)

6. Dragthepen says:

Would you suggest taking this in capsule form?

1. PB says:

Not really. You can take with milk.

7. hmaxwell217 says:

So how exactly do you use it? Do you put it in good or drink it?

1. PB says:

You can add it in food, mix a teaspoon in warm milk.

8. I love turmeric for everything, masks, remedies, healing and setting bones! Its amazing

1. PB says:

Yes it is. It a natural antiseptic which can be used in various forms. In India it is an important part of our food preparation.

9. Goat2bdazee says:

I did not know tumeric haf so many claims on benefiting our health..a spice to add to my condiments.

1. PB says:

Now you know :):)
      Try it today !!!

10. anonymous says:

So true and relevant, especially with the changing of the seasons! 🙂

1. PB says:

Exactly. Raw turmeric may promote bile secretion in the body, resulting in a better, more improved digestion, which is often a problem during winters. Additionally, it also boosts immunity and may prevent cold and flu during winters, due to its antiseptic and anti-viral properties.

11. Esther Eze says:

Real nice post dear

12. Hi:-) Great blog-post, it is wonderful that you spread the message of this awesome spice. Until recently I did not know that we actually need black pepper to absorb it. So, I thought it may be worth while mentioning if there are somebody else out there unaware of this fact:-) https://foodpharmacy.blog/2017/03/3-tricks-to-enhance-turmeric-absorption-and-boost-its-benefits/

13. Great timing. I am reviewing a clients genetic panel that shows they have a reduction in their glutathione detox process. One of the recommendations is to increase Curcumin. I will forward them this post when I meet with them. To review their results.

1. PB says:

Oh great. I am glad this post came to you at the right time.

I am glad you liked it. The most important benefit of turmeric is Turmeric is Anti-Inflammatory: The active ingredient in turmeric is curcumin, a potent anti-inflammatory that helps maintain healthy inflammation responses.

14. -Eugenia says:

I mix Tumeric in anything I can. Thank you for your informative post!

Turmeric indeed is a wonder ingredient. I am glad you use it already. Take Care!!

Glad you liked it.

15. oneta hayes says:

Thank you for visiting me today and leaving a like on Unconditional Love.

Hi Oneta, glad you see you again.

16. Glasgow Girl G1 says:

Turmeric has really helped my inflamed joint as I don’t like taking anti-inflammatory medicine. Great Article. GG

Turmeric is just wonderful. Turmeric: This centuries-old spice often used in curries is now popping up in chips, protein bars, even chocolate. It’s touted for its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, and has been studied as a natural protection against certain cancers and treatment for Alzheimer’s disease. The potential health benefits stem from curcumin — turmeric’s most active compound.

1. Glasgow Girl G1 says:

Brilliant love your post will read more late. GG

Thank you Glasgow Girl. I am glad you liked the post. Looking forward to your comments on future posts as well.

17. juliaaviva says:

Thanks so much for this very informative article on turmeric. I use it daily, mixed into juice from my breakfast apple and ginger stew (with coconut oil, raisins and cinnamon) for fibromyalgia pain and fatigue.
    However, I was unaware of the other health benefits.
    Praise God for such a wonderful root!

Hi Julia, I am glad you liked my post. As a curious fact, In abundant proportions, it helps reduce stomach acid. It is ideal for those patients who suffer from stomach affections such as gastritis or reflux; This also happens, if you are one of those people who like to consume a lot of spicy and spicy foods, turmeric can help relieve you acting as a tonic that will be ideal to restore normality to your stomach.

18. I often substitute this for curry powder (which I think are related). Great with noodle recipes.

Yes it is. We used it to cook vegetable curry and pulses in India.

19. Some, like me, cannot use tumeric without care because it is a blood thinner. If I use too much, the capillaries in my hands break.