Vitamins are important for eye health. Research shows eating more fruits and vegetables can help protect against eye disease. It can also help your overall health. To keep your eyes healthy, you should eat foods rich in certain vitamins and minerals. These vitamins and minerals are called antioxidants. Antioxidants help keep our cells and tissues healthy.
Here are some of the important foods that your may be hiding in your kitchen :
- Carrots : They contain beta-carotene. This helps in smooth functioning of the retina.
- Leafy Green Vegetables : They are great antioxidants to maintain eye health. They can prevent cataracts and macular degeneration.
- Raw Red Bell Peppers : They are a great source of Vitamin C. They help maintain the eye’s blood vessels. They reduce the risk of developing cataracts.
- Sunflower Seeds And Nuts : They are a great source of Vitamin E. They can reduce the chances of macular degeneration.
- Salmon : It is filled with omega 3 fatty acids and helps in maintaining eye health. It aids in treatment of eye problems.
- Fish Oil : It is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids. It is both accessible and affordable.
- Eggs : Eggs contain lutein and zeaxanthin. It helps lower the risk of macular degeneration.
- Citrus Fruits & Berries : Both of these are filled with vitamin C. They help in maintaining eye pressure. It also aids in normalising blood pressure.
- Whole Grains : Grains are a good source of complex carbohydrates. They help maintain blood sugar levels. They can prevent cataracts and macular degeneration.
- Legumes : They contain bioflavonoids and zinc. They help present the retina. It can prevent macular degeneration and cataracts.
- Lean Beef : Beef is a good source of zinc. It helps bring vitamin A to your retina. It aids in protecting the protective pigment in the retina.
Visit an eye care professional for regular eye exams. This will help you learn about and get treated for vision problems as early as possible. Talk with your health care provider before changing your diet or taking vitamin supplements. Some people have health conditions or take medicines that could be affected by a change in diet or vitamin supplements.