Brain Vitamins have a great beneficial effect on the frontal lobe portion of the brain, which is involved in the higher cognitive functions such as problem solving, planning and organizing. As we age, there is a decrease in the size of the frontal lobe, which is accompanied by a reduction in proper blood flow throughout this region. What’s more, the level of certain important neurotransmitters in the brain begins to decline throughout the aging process. The ability for the brain to heal its own tissues declines as well, and the energy-producing structures in the brain cells become older and more weathered due to over use over the years. This results in lower brain functions and decreased cognitive abilities, which may get in the way of everyday routine as well as your overall health and well-being.
Here are a few supplements, ideas and action items to bio hack your brain and improve its performance, health and longevity :
- Magnesium Threonate – There are many forms of magnesium supplements to choose from, but only magnesium l-threonate crosses the blood brain barrier, thus making it the best for the purposes of brain supplementation. Effects include improved memory, attention, depression and anxiety.
- Citicoline – Originally developed in Japan for stroke patients and was later introduced to European countries as a prescription drugs for brain disorders. Today, citicoline is marketed as a brain supplement for promoting healthy brain cells, improved blood flow to the brain, brain plasticity, and release of neurotransmitters.
- Vinpocetine – This is a new brain booster that blurs the line between brain supplement and smart drug. Vinpocetine is known to improve memory, fight brain fog, improve mental clarity, protect against brain ageing, decrease brain inflammation and improve the brain’s ability to use glucose (especially after a stroke).
- Turmeric- This is widely accepted as the most potent herb known to man. Turmeric is known to : increase levels of dopamine and serotonin (happiness chemical), antidepressant effects that rival Prozac, increase blood flow to the brain, improve memory and attention.
- Acteyl – L – Carnitine – This is an amino acid that increases both mental and physical energy. It is well known for powerful antioxidant properties, increasing neurotransmitters serotonin and norepinephrine, improving mental clarity, focus, processing speed and memory.
- Chiropractic Therapy – Chiropractic adjustments elicit changes in the prefrontal cortex, improving sensorimotor function, joint position sense and better ability to perform mental rotation of objects.
- Exercise – Probably the best drug? Exercise is one of the most effective and natural means of promoting brain health and mood regulator. Regular exercise leads to increases levels of NDNF, stimulating new growth of brain neutrons, improved brain blood circulation and learning capacity.
Your brain and heart are closely connected. Hacking both is important, but to truly upgrade your self, you need to connect them.