While cravings can mean a number of things including psychological reasons, a strong craving usually indicates your body is low in a specific nutrient, vitamin or mineral. The craving is an indication that it wants to make sure it gets what it needs. The difficult part these days is we have so much processed, unnatural food at our disposal that we often get confused about what our bodies are actually asking for. The foods you crave may NOT contain that nutrient and often the person eats unhealthy empty calories in place of nutrient-dense wholefoods.
Here are some of the common cravings, what they mean and healthy swaps for them :
If you are craving CHOCOLATE
- What is means is that you are cravings hugs and touch (endorphins rush), feeling stressed, body needs magnesium.
- Healthy Swaps – Dark chocolate (sweetened naturally), dark leafy greens, banana, avocado, dried fruit, nuts, seeds, beans, quinoa, kefir, and seafood.
If you are craving CHIPS (SALTY FOODS)
- What is means is that you might be feeling anxious or thirsty, body needs healthy salt, craving “crunch”, chloride, silicon.
- HealthySwaps – Drink water with a pinch of pink salt, add pink salt to steamed vegetables, eat crunchy veggies and apples, hydrating fruits.
If you are craving COOKIES, CAKE or CANDY (SUGARY FOODS)
- What is means is that you need an energy boost, need calories fast, chromium, carbon, phosphorus, sulphur, tryptophan.
- Healthy Swaps – Protein packed smoothies, rice, sweet potatoes, dried fruit and nuts, and potassium packed produce like bananas and avocados.
If you are craving BREAD or PASTA
- What is means is that you need a mood boost, energy boost and calories.
- Healthy Swaps – Eat healthy fats, nutrient dense foods.
If you are craving ICE CREAM
- What is means is that you are craving calorie boost, mood boost, sugar and fat.
- Healthy Swaps – Eat healthy grass-fed fats, find a low-sugar frozen yogurt, eat grass fed yogurt or goats milk, butter or cheese, nutrient dense foods.
If you are craving PIZZA or HAMBURGERS
- What is means is that you have cravings for fat, sodium and carbohydrates.
- Healthy Swaps – Eat healthy fats, nutrient dense foods, grass fed meat, lettuce bun in place of bread, drink water with a pinch of salt, sweet potato or carrots.
Reference : https://cleanfoodcrush.com