Tips for Journal Writing

When we all entered lockdown three weeks ago, and we have time to spare. I have heard people saying they have more time to sleep, to cook, to Netflix, to spend with loved ones. But how about working on your mental health? How about taking this time to learn who you are? How do you do that? Start writing a journal.

But I don’t know what to write or where to start? Here are a few things you can start filling your journal with. You can continue to do these even after the lockdown is over. It doesn’t have to be your thoughts, why, well thoughts are….complicated. So start with something which is easy.

• Travel Log – It is a great way to keep the memories of the specific place in your way. You can decorate your travel journal in whichever way you want. If you flip through the journal later, you can relive those moments. Note down everything that reminds you of your journey.
  • Creative Projects – These are carious projects that can be documented in a journal. e.g. Turn it into a vision board, write poetry, prose, creative writing, story writing.
  • New Ideas – When you have an idea or you observe something intriguing, and you know you can build on it, take note of it. These ideas will help you to overcome your fear of the blank page someday. Unleashing your inner creativity and to flex your creative muscle.
  • Letters – Letter writing has always been underrated but it is one of the purest ways of self expression. If you are willing to do this, try letter writing in your journal. Grab a nice pen and your journal. Light some scented candles. Think it as a real letter and write your heart out.
  • Quotes – Who doesn’t like words of inspiration? Try to write the words that resonate with you the most. Find quotes and affirmations that have changed you or can change your life.

Read more on : https://kitesandroses.com

1. Thanks for your insights, I myself do a great deal of journalling and usually focus on aspects of my life, my hopes, dreams and aspirations as well as commencing on the issues of the day.
    Stay safe and well!!

That is amazing Paul. My prompts are these : What has happened that day? How did that make you feel? Are you excited about anything? Why? Reflect on the thoughts and feelings you’ve been having.

2. Thank you for a great post and a favorite topic of mine. I have kept journals for years. Something I have added during this period of isolation is a daily gratitude list. I try to find 10 different things everyday that I am grateful for. It has helped quite a bit as I have been looking for things to write down in my journal. 🙂

Beautiful. Gratitude is always healthy. Thank you for reminding us that today.

3. Rachel Writes says:

Journaling is one of my favorite creative outlets. Love your suggestions on how to keep journaling simple!

Yes Rachael indeed. We keep a lot of things in our heads, but we put less down on paper. All those thoughts and ideas bouncing around can sometimes feel overwhelming. You have to-do lists, hopes, dreams, secrets, failures, love, loss, ups and downs. Ideas come and go, feelings pass. How do you remember all of them? How do you keep them organized? A great way to keep your thoughts organized and clear your mind is to write them down in a journal. Writing is a great exercise for anyone and by expressing yourself in a personal place is a wonderful way to stay sane.

4. Macrine Jangu says:

This is quite an educative piece. i got to learn a looott.

Glad you liked it. Dive in and start writing.It is easy to begin sentences with, “I feel,” or “I think,” or “I wonder.” Don’t feel pressured to stick to any particular form or topic. The beginning of your journal writing can just be an introduction to your thoughts at the time. This is your personal space, so you should feel comfortable writing.

1. Macrine Jangu says:

Anytime 🙏🏼🙏🏼

5. T Marie says:

Great post! I agree that journal writing is a great way to reflect on your daily interactions and events. This can really help us all to better people, I think!

Writing down your feelings help you to “brain-dump” your anxieties, frustrations and pains on a journal. This can help you to reduce and release stress which you have harbored overtime. A good way to relive stress is to write in the stream of consciousness style first thing in the morning called “Morning pages”. You can also use the mood tracker found in Journey to indicate your sentiment level. Overall, expressing yourself in a diary is a good way to free up any tension that prevents you from feeling happy.

6. jr cline says:

I have a paper crazy art journal for gratitude posts and dreams and card of the day.
    Today is the knight of swords.
    I have an online journal.
    And I have this blog.

Awesome. Way to go.

Glad you liked it. Do you keep a journal?

1. Yes! I do my best to write something everyday, however small.

7. BellaDour says:

I journal weekly. Thanks for the tips!

Effective journaling is a journaling practice that helps you meet your goals or improves your quality of life. This can look different for each and every person, and the outcomes can vary widely, but they are almost always very positive.
      Journaling can be effective for many different reasons and help you reach a wide range of goals. It can help you clear your head, make important connections between thoughts, feelings, and behaviors, and even buffer or reduce the effects of mental illness!

8. Thanks for wonderful tips.

I am glad you liked it.

9. RekhaDhanraj says:

Garima it’s really a good post it makes me inspire to write something on this lockdown.I like to write journal

Great Rekha. We look forward to reading !!

1. RekhaDhanraj says:

After reading your blog I have inspired and I have write my first English blog post.once again thank you.
        If you have time,th inen glance my first article: https://rekhadhanraj.wordpress.com/2020/04/08/artist/