Having a great idea and assembling a team to bring that concept to life is the first step in creating a successful business venture. When money is tight, stress levels are high, and the visions of instant success don’t happen like you thought, it’s easy to let those emotions get to you, and thereby your team. Take a breath, calm yourself down, and remind yourself of the leader you are and would like to become.
Here are some key qualities that every good leader should possess, and learn to emphasize :
- Communication : Great bosses sat what they mean and mean what they say and they say it clearly. This is so that people don’t have to read between the lines or try to guess their real meaning.
- Inspiration : Great leaders create a vision of the future that is vivid and compelling and that motivates employees to want to achieve it.
- Positivity : Leaders need to understand the power of positive psychology and look at every situation as a learning possibility.
- Honesty & Integrity : Great leaders know that sharing information empowers their employees, instead of diluting their own power.
- Problem Solving : Ultimately, we have leaders to solve organisational problems, and to take advantage of opportunities in the marketplace.
- Expertise : The best leaders build on their technical and professional skills over time becoming valuable experts in their field and skilled at leading their team.
- Creativity : As a leader, you have to make a number of decisions that do not have a clear answer. You therefore need to be able to think outside the box.
- Flexibility : Mishaps and last minute changes always occur at work. Leaders need to be flexible, accepting whatever changes come their way.
- Delegation : Top leaders know how to delegate without micromanaging their team.
- Mentoring : Great bosses pull the very best out of their people. They inspire, coach and lean into people’s strengths, and when their employees are ready for new challenges, they gladly send them on their way.
As long as there are leaders, people are going to wonder whether they were born to be leaders or made into leaders. Be a leader today in your own unique way. Embrace your uniqueness and listen to your intuition.