All About Serotonin

on

Serotonin is a chemical produced in nerve cells within the human brain. It acts as a neurotransmitter, passing signals between one area of the brain to the other. Fluid serotonin activity helps regulate brain cells related to mood, appetite, sleep, memory & learning, sexual desire and general happiness. Low serotonin levels can be hereditary and are often found in individuals with moderate to severe impression. A doctor may prescribe medication to improve serotonin production, but there are several ways to give yourself a natural boost of the chemical.

Here are a few ways you can increase your serotonin :

• Eat foods containing tryptophan – Consuming tryptophan (a precursor form of serotonin) along with carbohydrates will promote the production of serotonin in the brain.
  • Take supplements – Supplements such as magnesium, omega -3, zinc, 5-HTP, probiotics, vitamin C & folic acid can be taken upon recommendation from a medical professional.
  • Expose yourself to sunlight – Sunlight therapy using either white light or natural sunlight have been shown to remedy depressive symptoms in individuals.
  • Exercise – Exercise promotes the balance between three key chemical messengers, norepinephrine, serotonin and dopamine.
  • Remember happy events – Studies have shown that merely remembering happy events increases serotonin production.
  • Get a massage – Massages can increase both serotonin and dopamine levels, while decreasing cortisol (the stress hormone).
  • Avoid alcohol – Serotonin levels after alcohol consumption can resemble that of depressed individuals.
  • Meditate – Along with a myriad of other health benefits, meditation has been shown to modulate serotonin levels.
  • Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation (CES) – Electrical stimulation such as the Fischer Wallace Stimulator promotes serotonin production while lowering alcohol.

If you are experiencing depressive symptoms, there are many ways that you can begin to move towards recovery. Regardless of whether you prefer treatment that focusses on lifestyle change or a pharmacological treatment, a mental health professional will be able to help you navigate the road to recovery.

Reference : https://www.fisherwallace.com.br/blogs/saude-mental/how-to-increase-serotonin-levels

1. Really nice to read. Can u share which food have more trypto…?

High tryptophan foods include nuts, seeds, tofu, cheese, red meat, chicken, turkey, fish, oats, beans, lentils, and eggs. The recommended daily intake for tryptophan is 4mg per kilogram of body weight or 1.8mg per pound.

2. Thanks for these useful information🍀

Serotonin is an important chemical and neurotransmitter in the human body. It is believed to help regulate mood and social behavior, appetite and digestion, sleep, memory, and sexual desire and function. There may be a link between serotonin and depression.

3. J.SYS says:

Yep. The Serotonin is what helps. Sadly I knew most of the things mentioned, but couldn’t hold on to it or wanted to not do them for several reasons. In my case, there had to first be a reason to live. Because while I knew what was good for my health, I often did the opposite because I didn’t want to surive. Now that I want to live, the other things are coming in handy again. Thanks for sharing all the good stuff. 🙂

Most welcome. We all have those days when nothing seems to be going right. In fact truth be told, I woke up crying yesterday morning because I felt so aimless (even though I have clear goals in life). What helped me yesterday was writing my goals. And I started writing them repeatedly. Weird tip, sorry but by midday I was better, much better.

1. J.SYS says:

As long as it helps. 🙂

Try and see if it helps. Infact proactively I wrote my goals today as well :):)

3. J.SYS says:

Just writing and making music helps me, but walking in nature was the best so far (whenever I could).

Walking in nature is the best. One of the things I found out was that most people are not that happy when they are at work. They’re happiest when they are on vacations, with friends, making or listening to music. One of the surprising finds was that they’re also very, very happy when they are outside.

4. dyanrandf says:

Every winter in Montana our depression and suicide go up because of not having sun. Many health workers give patients Vitamin D and prescribe a sun lamp.

Ah Damn. How about Vitamin D supplements and exercise???

1. dyanrandf says:

I think everyone I know is on Vitamin D. Seems that even people who exercise can be effected. I know our physicians are always working on things to help.

Ah I am grateful to the physician community. Take care you.

5. LazyLedger says:

Thanks for sharing this ! 😊

Most welcome. Let’s get some serotonin.

6. Great post. Keep up the good work.

Ah thank you. I am glad you liked it.

7. kmr111 says:

great post in this lockdown dispersion!

Yup depression can hit anytime.

8. Nice post 🙏🙏🙏.