Productivity is not a result just of instructions or exhortations. To be able to motivate employees to yield high productivity takes not just posters, incentives or threats. Productivity is the result of a turned-on mind-set. For sustained productivity, organizations ought to try and create the atmosphere for such a mind-set for their employees. Making this happen calls for a major shift in the very thought process of the employees. But we can’t be waiting for the HR of our company to work towards employee engagement. We need to find our own small ways of boosting productivity on a daily basis.
Here are few tips you can use to boost productivity at work:
- Write a daily to do list the night before.
- Breakdown large tasks into smaller, more manageable chunks.
- Do the larger or more tedious tasks when you are more motivated i.e. first thing or after lunch.
- Track how long you spend on tasks. It can help you understand where your time goes & how long future tasks can take.
- No Multitasking – focus on one task at a time & move on to the next when you have finished.
- Re-list tasks you don’t complete. There’s always tomorrow to finish them (if it’s not urgent).
- Group tasks into urgent, important & would like to do it. It will help you to focus on what to do first.
- Change it up and find an alternative place to work, like outdoors or in a cafe.
- Have a tidy & organised work space.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Batch routine, small & similar tasks together to complete in one go, rather than throughout the day.
- Listen to some music or a podcast.
- Overestimate the time it takes you to finish tasks. Better to finish sooner than expected, rather than later.
- Set deadlines for tasks in advance & write them down.
- Don’t over commit or take on more work when you don’t have the time to finish it. Learn to say NO.
- Unsubscribe & delete unwanted emails.
- Buy nice stationary to put some colour/personal touches to your desk & make you feel good.
- Reward yourself after finishing tasks or at the end of the day or week.
- Celebrate wins, no matter how small.
- Turn off your phone or notifications. No distractions.
- Schedule tasks and appointments in your dairy. Use an alarm to remind you.
- Get out of the office for a walk etc to clear your head.
- Block out time on your calendar or day to work on set tasks, great tip if you work from home.
- Just do it! Stop wasting time & just get work done.
Productivity is to be seen as a way of life for the benefit of society as a whole. For productivity champions, prosperity and betterment of human life becomes the ultimate goal. They endeavor to fulfill man’s most noble task, i.e., to create a world of happiness and prosperity for all. That
indeed is the ultimate objective of productivity improvement.