The trick in dealing with big, powerful, or troubling emotional states is to understand first that emotions are always true(about something), but they’re not always right. Here is a list of emotions that you should look out for. See what they are telling you.
- Bitterness shows you where you need to heal, where you’re still holding judgements on others and yourself.
- Resentment shows you where you’re living in the past and not allowing the present to be as it is.
- Discomfort shows you that you need to pay attention right now to what is happening, because you’re being given the opportunity to change, to do something different than you typically do it.
- Anger shows you what you’re passionate about, where your boundaries are, and what you believe needs to change about the world.
- Disappointment shows you that you tried for something, that you did not give in to apathy, that you still care.
- Guilt shows you that you’re still living life in other people’s expectations of what you should do.
- Shame shows you that you’re internalizing other people’s beliefs about who you should be and that you need to reconnect with yourself.
- Anxiety shows you that you need to wake up, right now, and that you need to be present, that you’re stuck in the past and living in fear of the future.
- Sadness shows you the depth of your feelings, the depth of your care for others and this world.
Do you agree with these meanings?