Time and time again people would try to explain what was going on in their lives but would meet with the same old comments: “Pull yourself together”, “Stop feeling sorry for yourself”, “Everyone has got problems too you know” and “We can’t cope with you like this”. Those would come from family, friends, partners. Each time people would become so frustrated inside that nobody understood and would then turn it in on themselves even more.
What was wrong with me? Why was I not normal? What was broken inside my head? Every time they would do the same process and many have lost count of how many times they did. They convince themselves that they could fix themselves and then they would just try to act normal, they would act like they were ok, they would go out and get a job that they knew they didn’t want to do but would do it to appear like they were getting themselves sorted. They would act and be what people want them to be.
So Stop!! Like Right Now. But how? you may ask? Here are few ways which might help:
- Fight the Urge to be a Victim – Ultimately you are in control of your own life. You may have good reason to feel sorry for yourself because of what someone else did, but you must resist the urge. You are NOT a victim.
- Know Your Strengths – When you know the value that you bring to the world, it’s hard to feel sorry for yourself for that long. Take some time to think about the great qualities that you have.
- Take Responsibility – This is tough to hear for some, but you and only you are responsible for your success and happiness. The second you take responsibility, the second you’ll feel in control of your life.
- Get Inspired – Sometimes we just get in a funk and need a little help getting out of it. Get some inspiration and motivation from people, blogs, videos, books, quotes etc.
- Remember your Past Successes – The next time you are struggling with your self-worth and feel like nothing is going you way, think of things in the past that did go your way.
Self-pity is a habit and a choice. Take actions to unlearn this negative habit, and choose to bring some positivity into your life.